Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on drilling holes on painted body

Hi folks:

I'm in the process of assembling a guitar and would like to know what is the best practice for drilling holes on a painted body. Should I drill the holes before painting the guitar or should I drill the holes after the guitar is painted? I'm specifically thinking about the strap button holes and the pickguard screw holes.

Well, the best way should be to drill em before the painting process, but for tiny holes as those, you can manage to have some proper work, painted or not.

Comment

If I had a choice, I'd drill them before painting to avoid chipping or marring of the new paint. If I were drilling a painted body, I would put a piece of masking tape on the body where I was going to drill, then remove the tape after drilling.
      Scott
      Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
        If I had a choice, I'd drill them before painting to avoid chipping or marring of the new paint. If I were drilling a painted body, I would put a piece of masking tape on the body where I was going to drill, then remove the tape after drilling.
        But use the blue or green "Painter's tape" instead. It's not as adhesive as regular masking tape, so if it's chips a little bit you won't pull up the clear while removing the tape.

Comment

Use a forstner bit or Brad point drill bit and always pull the tape off towards the center of the hole, that way you are not peeling a fresh edge!
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Good Q&A guys! Another question: if I were to drill for a vol/tone pot on a painted body, should I drill from the top into the cavity, or from the cavity to the top?
            "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Top into the cavity. If you go from the cavity, you could splinter the top.
              -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
                Top into the cavity. If you go from the cavity, you could splinter the top.
                +1 Also helps to put a block of wood behind the part you are drilling.

Also what Budman suggests using a Brad Point or Forstner bit. I drill all my neck mounting, pickguard and pot holes after painting with these bits.
                Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                X