Larrivée tuning probs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larrivée tuning probs...

Just got my yellow Larrivée today and it sounds and plays great, except it has a little too light strings for my tastes. Anyways, when I yank around on the whammy bar it keeps coming back out of tune. Sometimes it comes back right, sometimes some of them are flat and others sharp(not hideously, just very slightly), so it's a freakin' mess. I had similar problems with my Nightswan not too long ago, but this is different.

I checked the studs and inserts and there was some play in the posts, so I teflon taped them fuckers up. Finito. It helped a lil but, but didn't fix the problem entirely. Then I noticed there were some dents on the springs in the back. So I replaced them. Finito. It helped a little more, but problem is still there. Knife edges looked fucking pristine(it's a OFR afterall). Nut looked pretty good too. The Floyd block is proper length so the springs ain't slipping

What can be causing this problem? Strings are stretched and locked with proper force, everything done according to the book. I'm going fucking bonkers over here. Can the spring claw screws be shifting location every time I yank the bar?

I had some trouble on My BC Rich like this. I had to pull one of the posts out and put and put a little wood glue in there. This seemed to help out a lot. Maybe the teflon tape is not enough to keep the post from sliding.

~horse

Comment

There's a lock nut on this guitar, right? Have you done the "press-strings-behind-lock-nut" test, to check for slippage? Bolt on? If so, tighten the neck. Floyd block tightened properly? Saddles tightened properly? If you have the trem cover off, don't let your sweater or shirt be the reason for this problem.
      Henrik
      AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

The problem seems to be gone now... weird... I guess the new springs i popped in weren't adjusted to the tension or something. Who knows, the problem might come back later... hope not though

Jackson1: I checked for nut slippage, there were none. Everything else you mentioned was tightened, overtightened even.

Horse Called War: The insert itself was solid within the body, however the posts wobbled, which I fixed with teflon tape(What a bitch it was to get them back in with all that tape wrapped around)

On a side note, the POD tuner is fucking crap for anything lower than standard tuning. It can't show a steady low B worth sheit. And new 6100 frets combined with 12-56 strings tuned to B is intonation hell:p

Comment

Problem seems to have come back ever so slightly.... I made a checklist.

Nut: I played around with the tuners on the headstock with a locked nut and the tuning was not altered, so I can rule out the nut end of things

String Locking screws: Were tighter than Jeff Loomis's rythm playing.

Intonation screws: tight tight

Saddles: Two of the saddles had small metal shims underneath, but I took a saddle of and inspected the shim, it was flat and even, so no problem should be posed by them. Saddles and string locking blocks seem to have been replaced recently.
          There are some small gaps between the saddles, but this might be because of the new saddles on the old Floyd-base. Again, saddles are tight as hell, so I can't see how this is the source of my problem.

Floyd sustain Block(42 mm): Seems fucking solid and checked ONE of the screws, it was mad tight. There seems to be a small grain of something between the smaller rectangular metal plate and the other metal plate thing which helps moving the string locking screws according to the fine tuners. It's on the very edge. Doesn't shift or anything. I seriously doubt this to be the source of the problem, although I will try and fix it next time I'm changing strings.

Floyd Baseplate: Excellent knife edges. Changed mechanism from screw in bar, to the new collar type bar. Has absolutely NO contact with body or Floyd cavity other than at the knife edges(and the springs at end of ustain block)

Springs: The springs it came with had weird dents on them, as if they had been bent really hard. So I changed them to some old springs I had, not sure if these are crappy too. How do you tell if you have shitty springs? I'm using 3 springs, none of that W set up stuff, they're all set up straight.

Springclaw: Looked OK, nothing weird here.

Strings: Brand spanking new 12-56 tuned to B. Stretched sufficiently.

Conclusion: I'm gonna go play around with other springs and see if that helps, meanwhile your help would be appreciated

Comment

Working...
          X