My first project (pic heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My first project (pic heavy)

Ok, I "aquired" a bass. Apparently if you read my thread regarding our last show, you know I need one so we can have a back up for our bass player. Well, someone (no names here..) GAVE me one. Call it Christmas..whatever. It came with the following warning. IT'S UGLY. Not in so many words, you get the drift.
    "The Beast" arrived today..that's what I've elected to call it. :ROTF:
    Anyhow..I am going to try and do something with this. The neck came with a "custom paint job..(just for me)?" It's scary. I have NEVER attempted anything like this. The body isn't that bad..used to have a full pickguard on it..I can live with that for now. Anyhow..I'm going to try and "find" the neck under all of this crap. If I screw it up..I can just buy a new neck..so I am feeling brave.
    Ok..the purpose of this post is..to give you pics...
    Body isn't too bad at all. Except the goofy toy "eyes" located on pups and body..

The neck is a different story.
    The "river" scene on the headstock..

Custom inlays (12th fret)

back of neck

Wish me luck......

nice 'custom' touches.

Love a nice J-bass. That would look good with a tortoiseshell pickguard. That burst is odd though. Like it's 3 colour top half, 2 colour bottom half. Is that standard practice when the lower half is covered by a pickguard?
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Don't ask me!! All I know is I got it LOL. The pickguard would definitley hide that. According to the screw holes.

Comment

No pick guard like jaco! Very cool! I like the 90's doing the 70's throw back paint job!
        Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Nice project to get started on. The Jazz Bass is my brother's favorite. Here is a small pic off their website. He has 2 1975 Jazz's. This is his sunburst, he also has a black one.

He plays in a Motown/Soul band.

Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I'm glad to see you do something with this one sis, that old thing plays and sounds sweet!
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Nice one
              Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

What a beautiful landscape on the headstock, is this the Bob Ross signature?

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post

LMFAO!! I remember watching that at night when I was half lit. Bob and his "mighty brush"!! I could watch him for hours -

Congrats sis, good luck and have fun with it!!
                  Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Originally posted by max View Post

Happy little trees

Comment

Originally posted by guitarsjb View Post
                      Well, someone (no names here..) GAVE me one.
                      and I didn't get why someone beeing that nice wouldn't like to be named here at first...
                      nice project anyway!!

and yes; bob ross rocks big time!! love his show!!
                      and a tree with his friend is living right here... and here some happy bushes... :ROTF:
                      tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

Killer Fro too...he put some brothers to shame with that perfectly shaped doo.
                        Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Ok...
                          so we (James and I) started stripping the paint off. What I found is quite a nice neck. But, it makes me think this is a Suzuki copy. Which is cool..I found one one ebay with the same neck..that's all I'm basing that on.

Under the paint..I find primer..and ALOT of it...paint remover was my friend today. I'm still high LOL, but once we get most of it off..very nice!! I can't imagine why it got painted in the first place.

I really didn't think I'd get this cleaned up enough..so out came the sandpaper...grrr..

I sanded the shit out of this neck..so after all the sanding/paint remover etc..I'm going to refinish it.
                          Pics in a few days..

Comment

Wow. Looking good so far!
                            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

hey, that's gonna look good put back together.
                              Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                              X