Modifing A Pickguard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modifing A Pickguard

I think I kinda the know the answer, but here it goes: I won on ebay a KH21 pickup set (well my mom won it for me as she mas the credit card :P). Well the pickguard is a hair to big for my CX391. Can I modify it so it can fit by the sanding down the area around the neck pocket it and floyd rose, or will I have to buy a new pickguard and switch the electronics to the new one?

If she has enough credit left on the card have her buy you a file. It'll be much faster than sandpaper.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
      If she has enough credit left on the card have her buy you a file. It'll be much faster than sandpaper.
      Heh Thanks.

EDIT: To keep people from thinking I got out of paying for it, I didn't :P
      Last edited by CharvelRocker; 12-14-2006, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
        I think I kinda the know the answer, but here it goes: I won on ebay a KH21 pickup set (well my mom won it for me as she mas the credit card :P). Well the pickguard is a hair to big for my CX391. Can I modify it so it can fit by the sanding down the area around the neck pocket it and floyd rose, or will I have to buy a new pickguard and switch the electronics to the new one?

That's what I did. I had an aftermarket pickguard for my Fender Strat. I found the same thing, just a little too big that when I put it on, the center did not sit on the body. You had to push down on it and there was a little "ripple" on the surface, What I did was I used a dremel tool with a sanding wheel. I took off just a little on the area by the neck pocket and then a little by the bridge. Be careful and try hard to follow the original "contour" of the area and just take off an even amount all across the opening. Worked great for me and was not noticable at all.

Hope this helps.
        Guitars:
        Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
        1988 Model 2,
        Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
        RR3
        Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
        1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
        2005 SG Special

Comment

Thanks. My dad thought of a dremel tool as well, which did the job perfectly.

Comment

Just did a search for pickguard modifying and found this old thread.
            I'm putting a Strat project together and the pickguard needs cutting in where the neck joins (would probably have been ok with a 21 fret neck but I'm putting a 22 fretter on and the gap is too thin to get the pickguard under the 22nd fret overhang). I need to cut in about 8mm. Would the dremel sanding wheel still be the easiest option?

Cheers
            www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

A dremel with sanding wheel should work great. Just be sure to clamp it down so it doesn't move around, and go slow. Remember, you can always take more off, but you can't put any back. Good luck!

Comment

Working...
              X