Does this wiring look right?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this wiring look right?

I had a guy wire up my EMG's, 18v 81 and 85. I get it home and it doesn't work. I know the guy pretty well, and he's pretty good with most wiring jobs. Bad picture:

No sound?

Have you put batteries in it?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

................................. Of course!

Comment

Just checking. Didn't see any in that pic.

Anyway, I'd say the wires at the jack may be reversed.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

I checked that against the diagram already, the only thing I see thats different here is the placement of the braid section is over the switch, and the ground is attached to it?

Comment

FYI: it's not soldered to the bottom of the switch, just runs over it.

Comment

Is that the proper 'stereo' 3-way input jack? Hard to see with the darkness of the pictures.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

Comment

whoops!
                  Last edited by Burn; 12-10-2006, 08:29 PM. Reason: edited for dumb misreading......

Comment

No thats a toggle switch. With EMGs you need a stereo input jack.
                    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

God I'm going to go hide in a hole....... DER, I was thinking of the only thing I had to buy when I posted that I think..... yeah it's the one that came with the emgs.
                      Last edited by Burn; 12-10-2006, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Where he soldered the braided wires together and attached a ground wire, maybe he got it hot enough to melt into the inner (signal) wires? Or maybe that solder joint is touching one of the signal tabs on the switch, again grounding out the signal. I dunno, just something to check out.
                        My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Have you checked so the quick connect sockets aren't on backwards?

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                            Have you checked so the quick connect sockets aren't on backwards?
                            Yes sir, tried em both ways, I took it back to him, and he's going to go through it and get it right, I hope......lol

Comment

Originally posted by mm2002 View Post
                              Where he soldered the braided wires together and attached a ground wire, maybe he got it hot enough to melt into the inner (signal) wires? Or maybe that solder joint is touching one of the signal tabs on the switch, again grounding out the signal. I dunno, just something to check out.
                              He said before the wires weren't soldered to the switch, just running across it, but I'd wrap that solder joint in electrical tape to get it off the switch.

Get you a bag of jumper clips from Radio Shack - those things are great for diagnosing connection problems without soldering. You could run a jumper directly from each pickup to the jack - bypassing the switch and knobs - to see where the problem is.

Comment

Working...
                              X