Recommendation on what Grade....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendation on what Grade....

I need a advice on what grade sandpaper to use to strip the sealer off my Musikraft Maple Neck w/ Ebony Fretboard. I recently ordered 2 Guitar Necks from Musikraft ( A Charvel-Type Strathead and a Reverse Tele) I ordered both Raw without Sealer or Lacquer, so I could finish them myself. The guys at Musikraft insisted that I at least get the necks sealed before shipping-for warranty reasons. So I said "sure...go ahead." Anyway I get the Strathead sealed and the all One Piece Maple Tele neck Raw??? I just finished the Raw Tele in Tru-Oil (Awesome BTW!), and would like to strip down the Strathead so I can finish it in Tru-Oil also. Any ideas?....Also, Musikraft does awesome work...highly recommended!

I would scrape it using a Stanley blade, followed by increasingly lighter grit sanding (400 and up, ending at over 1000). I would also wipe the neck with a wet cloth in between sandings, and then let it dry (thereby raising the grains) before the next sanding. Repeat this pattern up through the grits. When you finally oil it up, the grains won't raise very much, thanks to the wet cloth wipings.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
      X