J80 and Duncan Custom 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• J80 and Duncan Custom 5

Hello, first time posting been browsing for a while. Have an old Charvel Model 5 that I removed the electronics and pickups and installed a JB in the bridge and a Custom 5 in the neck along time ago. Been tinkering and removed the JB and put the 5 in the bridge, put the original Jackson J80 neck pickup in. They bolth read the same ohm wise but especially in the clean channel the Duncan 5 has way more output the the j80. Is this normal. Thanks

I think those pickups should balance pretty well. I've used both, but never on the same guitar. Have you tried raising the J80 a bit closer to the strings? I do remember that those pickups were really height sensitive, with a pretty narrow sweet spot compared to most of the Duncans I've used.

Other than that, does the guitar still have the original Jackson special 5-way switch? If so, it's important to note that the Duncan & the Jackson pickup use different wiring codes, and you may need to switch either the black & green or the red & white wires of the J-80. I ran into this on my 750XL when I swapped out the original pickups. It makes a big difference with that switch because the pickup won't run correctly in series if you have the coil-split wires (red & white) wired backwards. Here's the color code chart:

http://www.guitarelectronics.zoovy.c...kupcolorcodes/

Comment

Hey thanks for the response, but I have done all the above, pickups are as close as I can get it, really have to drop the Duncan way down to even them out. I have a different 5 way switch not the Jackson. I also used that page to do the wiring. The plastic cover on the j80 shouldn't make that much difference. There is a big difference between the two. Maybe just Gremlins.

Comment

Working...
      X