Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The secret to doing a good snakeskin graphic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The secret to doing a good snakeskin graphic?

This is for the painters out there.
    I have some wild ideas for snakeskin graphics...but how exactly would you go about doing a good - high quality - snakeskin graphic?

As I've understood it, you're basically putting a fabric mesh over a medium grey base coat before spraying the patterns. It's the spraying part that is intruiging me. Would you spray the light colors and the dark colors on from different angles to get the nice 3D-looking effects? And what angles would those ideally be?

I know an airbrush artist, but he isn't very experienced - nor very quality minded, so I wouldn't trust him to do it. I can however borrow his studio if I want...

I saw this on American chopper a few weeks ago. The painter used Fishnet stockings. He wrapped the tank with the fishnet and sprayed. made the line and a small shadow. Awsome trick. looked perfect.

Comment

I was going to do this same thing but, I couldn't for the life of me get the stockings to sit flush on the inside of the horns so I set the project aside untill I can figure out how it's done.

Comment

Yeah, I thought they used stockings...if I go ahead with this idea, I will have to humiliate myself further by entering a lingerie store. First magenta nail polish, and now this!

Comment

:ROTF:

This is where a wife/girlfriend can come in very handy.

Comment

I'd be interested in learning more about this too. Anybody find any pics of the process?
            My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I couldn't find any pics of the process. I just compiled a bunch of detailed pics of the color that I wanted to do (copperhead). Today my project (DKMG) still sits in primer untill I can figure out how to get the stocking snug on the inner part of the horns. Other than that part the stocking fit's beautifully around the contours of the body.

Hopefully, someone here has done this finish before and would be willing to enlighten us.

Comment

I'd say buy a bunch of fishnet and do a few trials on scrap. I'd imagine the technique would become apparent pretty quickly once you jump into it. I've also heard of unraveling one of those plastic body-scrubber things chicks use, or even those plastic mesh things that vegetables sometimes come in. If I bump into my pro-airbrush bud I'll see if he has any useful tips. lol
                |My CSG gallery|
                (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

Yeah, I suppose I will have to experiment on scrap. A few rattle cans, some board and stockings should be good for a test I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                  X