What should I practise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should I practise?

Ok, I've been playing guitar for 6 months now... and I'm like one of these crappy guitarists that play's certain tunes again and again and ... well , you get the picture.

I know Hermonics, Pinch Hermonics, Finger Plucking and I can do a bit of shredding. I also know things like Hammer on's, Pull off's, Slides, ect.

I barely know any scales though or what I should practise on next. Anyone got any advice? Thanks if so =) !
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ResizedSig.png

Well, FIRST off, practice spelling, as in the word practiCe! hehe.
    I'm not Ron!

Comment

You may want to go to technique section. But just google guitar scales and all kinds of crap will come up. You'll see diagrams for scale patterns, start with pentatonic, since alot is based off that, and go from there. Learn to play these scales with alternate picking, try improvising with them. Look up arpeggios as well, this will teach you sweep picking. Improvise with those too. That should keep you buisy for a bit.
      Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

yeah do what jacksonwarrior said....and you posted this in the wrong section newb . welcome to the forum! and please read the rules you may be subject to many more newb jokes if you dont

Comment

Don't start too fast. You have to get your fingers working as fast as your brain. And that takes time. Start with simple stuff and get it right. Then get it more righter. And then be able to play it while thinking of something else. When you can play a lick without thinking about it, then you can progress. And welcome to the board.
          I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
            Don't start too fast. You have to get your fingers working as fast as your brain. And that takes time. Start with simple stuff and get it right.
            This man speaks the truth.

Comment

forget "shredding", forget arpeggios, sweep picking, tapping, exotic scales, all the advanced techniques that many noobs like to brag that they've got down when they actually sound like slop.

Follow the advice below:

Don't start too fast. You have to get your fingers working as fast as your brain. And that takes time. Start with simple stuff and get it right.
              Hail yesterday

Comment

Did I say something right? I'm impressed.
                I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

hermonics are for girls.

Comment

GUITAR! It takes time you can't just start to playanything you want. Six month is a very short time , learn to crawl, them walk ,them run .

Comment

Did I say something right? I'm impressed.

Yes Fett, for once you actually said something meaningful. It was damn good advice (even if it was you that said it). Is it just my imagination, or are you suddenly becoming knowledgable about stuff??? You keep it up and I'm gonna be inviting you over for a barbeque.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

I dont think theres anything wrong with a beginner learing arpeggios and sweep picking, it takes along time to be able to play them solo or "shed" style anyway. There are some pretty easy arpeggios, I think they are very usefull and great for improv and the sooner you start learning the pick control needed to play them cleanly especially with overdrive the better. But absolutely slowly but surely, avoid tension as much as possible.
                        Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

Thanks a lot. And to the 1st Poster to reply to this, I spelled Practise right so maybe you should think before posting stuff like that?

Well yeah, a lot of people said I shouldn't go for the more advance stuff now. And I don't do most things right, like Shredding for instance. But I can do the other things I mentioned (Which isn't a lot to consideration).

And I have always wondered what a Sweep Pick and Arpeggios were... could anyone send me an example? Lol, I barely know anything right now. I'll get to the scales now though.

And to me posting in the wrong section... I always get confused where to post things like this as it is a Question... but Meh, I should get use to this forum soon enough !
                          Last edited by Slyder; 12-08-2006, 11:06 AM.
                          http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ResizedSig.png

Comment

Originally posted by Racerx2k View Post
                            Well, FIRST off, practice spelling, as in the word practiCe! hehe.
                            Must be a racerx thing with the spelling:ROTF:

Comment

Not to be harsh, but the best thing to do is do a Google search for anything you want to know first. It will be a lot quicker and you'll get a lot more info. The other thing I would recomend is to invest in a metronome if you don't have one yet. That way you can take lessons and try them and if they are too fast, just slow down the bpm and play at the speed you are comfortable. The trick is to get your fingers to do what you want without having to think about it. And then as you are comfortable, work up your speed.

Comment

Working...
                              X