Mixers??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixers??

Well now that I've covered mics in another thread, time for mixers! I'm new to this PA thing as well! Any suggestions? Note that this will be for live applications. I don't think we'll need anymore than a 16 channel. I'm looking at Mackie's VLZ pro series. How does compression come into play in the mixer business??
    I love admins!

live i use compressors between the mixer and the amp to keep dynamics level. the mackie is a good mixer. we use an alesis studio 32 as our PA mixer and that has been REALLY flexible, allowing us to run several monitor mixes for floor wedges and in ears, plus we can do 16 track live multi-track recording of the board. it has been great.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

floor wedges? in ears? shit I'm got a lot to learn still! note that I'm planning on using the active mackie speakers, so I wont be using amps!!
      I love admins!

Comment

the the mackie mixer should run great. if it has a pair insert jacks, you could put the compressor there. or between the mixer and the speakers. just get a 2 channel compressor.
        GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

Comment

you want compressors on all the vocal mics.
          I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            you want compressors on all the vocal mics.
            True, but only if you know how to use it. It can be far worse if you do it wrong.

Get EQs before you get compressors !!! You need an EQ channel on each monitor mix to control feedback, 30 band behringer is a good cheap eq. You can get away with a built in graphic on the mixer for the mains.

Mixer => Mackie is good. Allen & Heath mix wizard in my fav smaller mixer. Soundcraft is very good too.

Comment

Wow thanks for the gr8 info guys! I'm not looking for monitors yet, that'll be down the road!! I'm planning on using a differ cab behind the drummer besides my cabinet! Do cables cost much?
              I love admins!

Comment

I do more and more sound year by year, I would now not buy a mixer without a parametric type sweepable midrange. To me it's the difference between OK sound and good sound. The Mackie 1604 I primarily use has it, but my little 1202 does not, -so I'm getting rid of the 1202. I'm going to try a 14 channel+- (incl effects) behringer that my buddy got for me for $100 at a pawn shop the other day, but I haven't been able to meet up with him to pick it up yet. I feel really strongly about the sweepable midranges for each channel, the trick I was told for eq-ing each channel is to boost the midrange level, sweep the mid to find the worst sounding frequency, then cut the level on that bad sounding frequency, -it seems to work great for a quick mix.
                You'll want individual compressor channels in the inserts, I've run the entire mix through a single compressor channel, but I think that's only good as 'speaker protection' (like if you're more concerned about protecting your pa than the sound of the metal band you're mixing), . We've got 2 Alesis 2 channel compressors (for a total of 4 channels of compression), we use 1 channel for each of the vocals, 1 channel for bass guitar, and one channel for kick drum. If I had only 1 channel of compression I'd use it for kick drum, to my ears it sounds a lot better with a well setup compressor.

Comment

compressors are important. i have 4 of the samson 4 channel compressors (one in each channel insert). they are basic, but very effective. then there is another samson stereo compressor in the main inserts (for overall level control/speaker protection). jimbilly is right, having sweepable mids on every channel in important. it gives WAY more control of the sound and allows you to get great clarity.
                  GEAR:

and finally....

Comment

Wow gr8 info guys!! Keep it coming!!
                    I love admins!

Comment

Get a compressor (or compressors) that have limiter/expander/gate functions as well. You'll have a lot more control over the final mix levels on those channels without making them sound "boxed in". I think they are a must on all drum mics, and vocals. I agree about the parametric EQ, very nice. I also like to use BBE on the drums. I know that's getting off topic of "mixers", but still it's important.
                      My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                      X