Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Using nail varnish to touch up a messed up finish?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using nail varnish to touch up a messed up finish?

I heard of this method and I must say it'd make sense for small touching up, but what's the deal exactly? I couldn't find much info on it... I wouldn't mind redoing my red model 1a and my cobalt blue mode 4 where paint has chipped.

I dunno how others do it. I took my guitar into a cosmetics store and tried to find a nail varnish matching the finish. The saleslady was rather surprised, but very helpful. Then I just filled in the spots where the finish had chipped off. I applied a few coats (letting it dry in between). The color match isn't perfect, but close enough.

Comment

That's actually how I thought I'd do it, turn up to boots with my guitar and ask around hehe... Thankfully women care so much about it, it shouldn't be too hard to find the right colors. Can you apply it to where the pain uncovered the wood too?

Comment

Being a pro artist, i would probably do exactly the same for small chips or even try enamel, i've retouched a lot of things in my time and got the colour match pretty close. Nothing wrong with nail varnish.

Where wood is uncovered it would probably sink in, so build it up and try that way.

Comment

How about Testor's model paint and a quality brush? Try a hobby store.
          Scott
          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Enamel as in... model paint?

Comment

enamel

Originally posted by pott View Post
              yeah but bare in mind it is oil based (that's what 'stuka' mentions above my reply...another thing you can use is automotive touch up paint, you know, the small sticks you can buy.

the paint has to be compatible with the finish of the guitar!!!
              and as far as i know nail varnish is fine for tiny areas, it's cheap and there is a huge range of colours on the market these days, plus they do clear coats.
              Last edited by 24seven; 12-06-2006, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Yeah I'm quite tempted now to be honest... I'll research some more and see if I find more info and then give it a try. Keep on making it coming and thanks for the help so far!

Comment

I've done that a lot find a close color match and go for it.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                    I dunno how others do it. I took my guitar into a cosmetics store and tried to find a nail varnish matching the finish. The saleslady was rather surprised, but very helpful. Then I just filled in the spots where the finish had chipped off. I applied a few coats (letting it dry in between). The color match isn't perfect, but close enough.
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Ha! That sounds like a great way to pick up chicks! I think Im gonna start shopping with my guitar strapped on!

Me:"Um...excuse me, rediculously hot chick that works at Victoria Secret, but Im looking for some nail polish to do some touch up painting, and a nice soft cloth to wipe my wicked awesome guitar down with." *poses in awesome "rockin out" stance with one foot up on the sales counter*

Rediculously hot chick that works at Victoria Secret: "Why yes! I believe I have just what you need....why dont you give me a call sometime and Ill help you wipe down that sexy guitar."

Me:...OK!!!(sweet)

Shut up! I can dream! But yeah I have a blood red Westone Dimension IV with some chips, its a trans red. Im thinking nail polish would work great for this!
                      Last edited by JacksonWarrior; 12-06-2006, 05:11 PM.
                      Pointy guitars KICK ASS!!

Comment

This is all just too funny! Good idea to hang out at the cosmetic counters:ROTF:
                        An enamel will work fine, as well as acrylic lacquers. That finish is going to be urethane, so not much will react with it.
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

@ this thread!

There were no hot chicks in the store I was to.
                          Maybe I should have waited around outside to see if any showed up before I went in...

Anyway, I was surprised at the ease at which I found a rather good match. The sales lady whipped out a bunch of color cards and helped me singling out the closest color. This was for my 750XL in magenta pearl - not a very common color on cars or model planes.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                            @ this thread!

There were no hot chicks in the store I was to.
                            Maybe I should have waited around outside to see if any showed up before I went in...

Anyway, I was surprised at the ease at which I found a rather good match. The sales lady whipped out a bunch of color cards and helped me singling out the closest color. This was for my 750XL in magenta pearl - not a very common color on cars or model planes.
                            If you mind me asking, what color did you wind up with and from what manufacturer? I have a Charvel in Magenta also and have some small chips I would like to touch up if possible.

I figured you already imbarrassed yourself to find the color, you did the work for the rest of us!!!!!

No, just kidding, Thanks in advance.
                            Guitars:
                            Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                            1988 Model 2,
                            Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                            RR3
                            Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                            1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                            2005 SG Special

Comment

Originally posted by pott View Post
                              I have used Testors paint on a few different guitars. Instead of bringing in the guitar for a match, I took digital photos of the finish, and printed up pictures to bring with me to compare. Worked out pretty well for me.
                              Last edited by jrnic; 12-07-2006, 12:13 AM.
                              Guitars:
                              Charvel: USA Pro Mod Slime Green
                              1988 Model 2,
                              Jackson: Dinky HSS 'Blue/Orange Flame'
                              RR3
                              Gibson: 1978 Les Paul Spl Dbl Cut
                              1992 LP Studio 'Lite'
                              2005 SG Special

Comment

Working...
                              X