stripped locking trem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stripped locking trem

one of the nuts won't thread in at the top of the neck on my jackson. it's a floyd rose locking trem. the reason is because the piece at the top must be stripped. it's damn near impossible to keep this guitar in tune if i touch the whammy bar.. is this part repairable/replaceable?

yes. buy a new nut. 1 11/16 width. i believe it is an R4.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

Comment

EDIT: Or just do what MarkD said.

Comment

R3 or R4... depends on the string spacing.
        R3 = narrow
        R4 = standard
        -Rick

Comment

Go for an R3, otherwise, you will find in most cases that your top E will be too close to the fingerboard edge. All Jackson's that I've stripped down have had R3's.

Cheers
          Steve

Comment

Try tapping the threads and getting a new screw before changing out the entire thing.
            www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

i think retapping it is the best option. anyone wanna give me a crash course on it?

Comment

Originally posted by slo100 View Post
                Try tapping the threads and getting a new screw before changing out the entire thing.
                Just swap the nut... ya gotta take it off anyway.
                What's cheaper... $30 for a new nut or buying a tap and dye kit, finding a bolt short enough to fit and then drilling the string block to accept the new bolt and then hoping it works?

Just get a new nut.
                -Rick

Comment

A drop of Crazy Glue and turn the screw as it sets so it will move. It just may gum it up enough to do the trick. Why not give it a try? You are going to replace the nut anyhow.
                  I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

All you need to do is run the correct size tap through the threads a few times and it should clean up just fine. You may be able to get the bolt threads fixed, also.

You don't have to go through the whole drill and re-tap routine unless the threads are too far gone in which case you would want to go for a new nut.

Is it an original Floyd Rose, Schaller, etc.? What model Jackson?
                    www.sandimascharvel.com

Comment

Originally posted by fastfwd View Post
                      i think retapping it is the best option. anyone wanna give me a crash course on it?

First of all, you should figure out which part is stripped. Is it the threads in the locknut itself or the screw that's going into the threads? If it's the threads in the locknut that are stripped, buy a new nut because tapping won't do a damn thing to fix that. If it's a screw, I'll send you one for free if you're in the USA and then yes, you should tap the threads to clean out the debris left over from the screws that they use-
                      Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Harbor Freight or Northern Tool both have relatively cheap tap & die sets that will do OK for light duty stuff. I think the correct thread size for the lock nut screws is M4 (metric). Here's a set with metric & SAE sizes at Harbor Freight for $20:

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=45766

Comment

Working...
                        X