Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, I replaced my DK2M's JB with a Custom...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, I replaced my DK2M's JB with a Custom...

And it's NOT what I expected! It's very bright and clean, with a lot less bottom end then the JB, and a good deal less output overall. I know I wired it correctly, but it sounds as if the coils are running in parallel instead of series. In other words, it sounds clean like a single-coil pickup, not a humbucker.

Is this how the Custom is supposed to sound?
    "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Definately not the experience I've had with the Custom. Both of the guitars that I have with customs are very chunky sounding with a kick ass midrange and seemed to have a bit more output than the JB's that they replaced.

Comment

Madness,

It DEFINITELY doesn't sound like that! Man, it was a simple pickup swap, which I've done 20+ times flawlessly in the past.

Any suggestions? I guess I'll do a sanity check and put the JB back and make sure it sounds like it used to.
      "You are so stupid that I am surprised you have not collapsed into a singularity of stupidity." - Anon

Comment

Well I really don't have any suggestions other than check over your wiring, but, since you obviously have done this before I doubt this is the problem.

I had the same problem in an LTD I had...It came with EMG HZ's which, in that guitar, seemed to have a lower output compared to my JB equipped guitars. At the time, I was really diggin' the JB's so I bought one for it. Man, what a suprise...I put it in and it actually sounded like it had less output than the HZ's. Now, I don't really know how the output of the pickups compare but, like I said, my JB equipped guitars were always hotter.

I really feel that finding the right pickup for a guitar is almost always a matter of expirementing...and every guitar is different. So maybe the Custom just isn't the pickup for your guitar. JMO.

On a side note...Do you think the POT values could have anything to do with it? ....just throwing that out there.

Comment

Madness,

The pots are the stock 500K's, which is of course the standard for humbuckers. I'll do the sanity check thing tonite, as mentioned...

Comment

Comment

I've always thought the JB was lame and had too much treble and high mids. The Custom always seemed more balanced and had much better low end.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a Custom in my Ibanez IC500BK and it sounds awesome.....very meaty....nothing like you are describing. It sounds even better since I ditched the tone pot (that guitar came with one tone and one volume.....but I converted it to two volumes....one volume control for each pickup).

Comment

Could be the pickup is wired wrong try switching the wires you may have a dead coil too.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                    Could be the pickup is wired wrong try switching the wires you may have a dead coil too.
                    +1

Try a simple test. Turn the volume up and tap a metal object (like a screwdriver) on the pole pieces to make sure that both coils are functioning.

Comment

Originally posted by SweetPete View Post
                      DEFINITELY

(No A in there, dudes!)
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

The JB is a Distortion with Alnico magnets instead of ceramic, so the Custom should be just under that on a meter.

I'd say check how the red/white wires are acting. They may be leaning against something once you put the cover on. Had that happen once - drove me nutz trying to figure out why it sounds great with the cover off, but thin with the cover on - then I taped the red/white back to the main rubber sleeve and everything was ok.

Also look for fine strands of solder "hair" that may be touching something else.

Aside from that, scrape a screwdriver tip over the poles/screws as was stated before to make sure they're both on.

Barring that, try swapping the green and black wires.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

What does it read on the multimeter?
                          The Custom is definitely more ballsy than the JB, or should be. It's almost on par with a Distortion. Not as aggressive as the latter, but definitely a kick ass pup. It's not something to mess with. Your definition indeed doesn't sound right.

Comment

As a long time custom user I am without any doubt there is either an issue with the wiring or the Custom has a dead coil.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                              I've always thought the JB was lame and had too much treble and high mids. The Custom always seemed more balanced and had much better low end.
                              I've always been anti-JB, but having not played/owned a JB equipped guitar in ages, I thought I was just biased against a memory/preconception since the JB is one of the most damn common SDs around... Recently played an 06 KE-3, wow, I was right, they're a yawn.

OT, but anyone notice that they've started darkening the rosewood on the 06-ers slightly? Tsk tsk, Jackson. Be proud of your rosewood. Or give us real ebony

Comment

Working...
                              X