Vetta jammed, but the lights were a diff story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vetta jammed, but the lights were a diff story

So the Vetta had its maiden gig saturday night. Everything went off without a hitch, aside from the 60 cycle hum that everyone that had amps on the stage was experiencing.

Nothing we did could alleviate the hum... obviously we were on the same circuit as the light system.

My question, is there some kind of power supply/strip/conditioner that can cancel this hum? It was almost so bad, you could hear it cut thru my playing.

Thats, unacceptable.
    www.myspace.com/madeaband
    www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Furman makes some good power conditioners, etc.

http://www.furmansound.com/

Comment

If they've got a Variac on the lights (dimmer control), there's probably not much you can do except cut the lights completely.
      I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Do you have the Vetta noise gate activated per program? It will silence things when you aren't playing. The Vetta noise gate works very well. I have mine set up so when I'm not playing the amp doesn't make a peep. Even set like that, there is no issues with sustain or the gate coming on when I'm playing.

The gate won't help if the hum is so bad you can almost hear it as you are playing as you mentioned, but at least you're ears will get a rest from the hum between songs.

Comment

Yah, it was pretty brutal humming. I maxed the gate to no avail. I tried quite a few different plugs as well. What really burns my ass is, the Bijou is one of the better large venues to play in my area, and they have live bands all the time. You would think they could do something about the noise.

I'll check into the conditioners, I just figured there was maybe a power supply that could basically cancel that 60hz hum straight outta the plug.

Thanks for the replies
          www.myspace.com/madeaband
          www.garageband.com/artist/madea

Comment

If it is bad power a conditioner will help. If it is from the lights, good luck. I carry a ton of extension cords with me so I can run to another circuit if needed.

The vetta gate won't do you any good with power issues. It is the first device in the chain after the guitar.

Comment

you can also try ground lifts and talk to the club bosses maybe they can help

Comment

Originally posted by yard dawg View Post
                you can also try ground lifts and talk to the club bosses maybe they can help
                Personally I would not use a ground lift on my amp ( 3 to 2 adaptor). Your asking for a 'shocking' result........................

Comment

It was most likely a dimmer in the lighting system. If you can't use a completely different circuit the only fix is to have the lights either 100% on or 100% off.

Comment

I've had it happen - for some reason the Vetta was more susceptible to it than my tube amps. You should have been able to rotate your body and found a quiet position... I have had to be at that angle between songs before. Not the most fun thing, but better than the noise!

Pete

Comment

Working...
                    X