Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone prefer rosewood fingerboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone prefer rosewood fingerboards?

Does anyone prefer rosewood fingerboards? It seems like people prefer maple or ebony and I just read in another thread here that maple is actually cheaper so I was wondering why companys use rosewood so much???

I don't care for the look of most rosewood, I like the darker stuff.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by tanpsi View Post
      I just read in another thread here that maple is actually cheaper so I was wondering why companys use rosewood so much???
      Cheaper substitute to (darker) ebony?

Comment

I clearly prefer the feel of rosewood and the tone for the most part as well. As for looks, it depends on the rest of the guitar (finish, hardware, etc),

Comment

I have maple, rosewood, and ebony boards. I like them all. But, my preference is ebony. I really like that dark board.

Alvin
          MakeAJazzNoiseHere: You kidding me? I'd suck her fartbox dry in a heartbeat. 9/29/2011 quote about Megan Fox

Comment

I actually prefer the feel or rosewood, and I'm picky as hell about the piece and color too. It's gotta be light and not have too many dark and ugly spots and streaks. But I also love the other 2 for various reasons also. It's all good!

Comment

I like them all. There's a little bit of a rosewood "inferiority complex" around here. IMHO, that's a perception issue caused by the imports (= "cheaper") having rosewood instead of ebony. But all three are great, as is pao ferro. My preference usually depends on the guitar's other specs.

Comment

I have rosewood my guitars and I think its great. I like the feel a lot better than ebony and the tone seems great too. I like the way ebony looks more than rosewood but a nice piece of rosewood is not all that bad.

Its used on more guitars than import Jacksons and I feel that as long as its a nice piece its all good. Brian Moore, Gibson, Ernie Ball, and many others use it...
                Light intervened, annihliating darkness.
                The path of salvation made clear for the prodigal human race

Comment

rather rosewood than ebony...but rather ebony than rosewood...but you can have everything...
                  But rosewood isn`t so bright too so it`s a nice compromise..
                  Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I was wondering about this myself. I like the dark look of ebony and how it feels really smooth. I wish more guitars used ebony, it couldn't really be wildly more expensive than rosewood, could it? I would always pay 20 dollars extra for ebony if I had the chance, but I wonder if it costs even that much more. Maybe it's harder to work on. Or it's just another way of seperating cheaper lines from nicer ones. If so, it's sad that things have to be that way.

Comment

I prefer maple and rosewood over ebony.
                      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think if you have sharkfin inlays then ebony board with binding is a must. And those sharkfins is one of the main reasons we're here! So I prefer ebony
                        Check my bands!
                        www.myspace.com/magicktr
                        www.myspace.com/sinif64
                        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

I like rosewood's tone better than ebony's

although I prefer the ebony look

that is why I will ebonize a couple of my imports = the best of both worlds
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

maple is top choice.

rosewood sounds nice+feels nice, but i hate how it looks.

Comment

My ho actually prefers "my wood" as far as I know. Then again who knows?! She's quite the slut!
                              "The BLUES is the tonic for what ails ya."

Comment

Working...
                              X