Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 22 fret to 24 fret replacement

me first post!
    just a quickie....i have a jackson rhoads EX..but the neck is broke...basically its a 22 fret neck...can i repalce it with a 24 fret neck?

if i replace it with a 24 fret neck is there any extra setting needed?

thanks!

No, it won't work... the neck pickup will be in the way.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

thanks for the reply...i have try change it once to a 24 fret dinky neck..it does fit perfectly....but the problem is that i couldn't get right note on the fret... i.e for the 1st E string...on 12th fret i'll get D# and on the 24th fret i'll get D note...same goes to all strings....(hope u understands what i mean =P)
      do i have to change the floyd rose's setting?

Comment

Yeah, it's changing the scale length. To get it to intonate right, you'll need to stick with a 22-fret neck with 25.5" scale for that scale length on that body. You can try pushing the Floyd saddles back farther away from the neck to lengthen the string, but I don't think that'll help all that much in this case. You'd probably have to take the Floyd posts out and redrill them further back.

Comment

cool....thanks man!

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Yeah, it's changing the scale length. To get it to intonate right, you'll need to stick with a 22-fret neck with 25.5" scale for that scale length on that body. You can try pushing the Floyd saddles back farther away from the neck to lengthen the string, but I don't think that'll help all that much in this case. You'd probably have to take the Floyd posts out and redrill them further back.
            buh-boowww!

if you put a 24 fret neck on a body built for 22, the extra length on the neck will move the nut further AWAY from the body. So any bridge movement, whether that be saddles or completely relocating the bridge unit, will require movement in that same direction - towards the nut. Not away from it.
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Drill the neck pickup area,and fill it with some wood-glue-filling-supa dupa thing(I don't know what they're called)And have a guitar with 24 frets and one humbucker.(one of the board members had done something like that to a rhoads.Anyone remembers who was that?)
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Yeah, that was Mark - mm2002.
                Rhoads thread here:
                http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48539

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                  buh-boowww!

if you put a 24 fret neck on a body built for 22, the extra length on the neck will move the nut further AWAY from the body. So any bridge movement, whether that be saddles or completely relocating the bridge unit, will require movement in that same direction - towards the nut. Not away from it.
                  You're right. He also mentioned the fact that he gets D# at the 12th fret, which is another indicator it needs to go towards the nut. My bad.

Comment

Is it really worth so much work for this 2 frets?...
                    I always wanted a 24 fret Rhoads but, now I have
                    a 22 fret Rhoads and guess what I don`t miss these
                    two frets...
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Originally posted by Sunbane View Post
                      Yeah, that was Mark - mm2002.
                      Rhoads thread here:
                      http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48539

Thanks for the link.I think Marks's job on that guitar is just awesome!
                      I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Special-K View Post
                        Is it really worth so much work for this 2 frets?...
                        Depends entirely on what you play. It can really blow to try and play licks that were made for the two octave range on a 22-fretter. There are ways to work around it, but I'd rather have the convenience of 24 frets at my disposal at all times. The only big tradeoff IMO, is that the neck pickup tone isn't as juicy on a 24 as it is on a 22.

Comment

Warmoth used to make a compensated 24 fret neck to replace certain 22's, I don't know if they still do.

Comment

Working...
                          X