What is a 'Pressence' control

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is a 'Pressence' control

What exactly does a pressence control do (on my Buddies Marshall amp) and when should I use it?
    http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

A presence control gives you more control over the ultra high end (treble) frequencies.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

What, do you mean it cuts them, or boosts them?
      http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

Imagine taking an EQ and pushing up all the little switches on the right.

joe....
        www.godwentpunk.com
        www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

Originally posted by Trev57 View Post
          What, do you mean it cuts them, or boosts them?
          Boosts the treble frequency. Play around with that and the treble control until you get it set to your liking.

Comment

the important distinction with most presence controls is that they are EQ at the power amp stage vs. your regular bass/mid/treble that are part of the preamp.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

The presence controls between the mid and high frquency at the power stage

Comment

Originally posted by El_Kabong View Post
                The presence controls between the mid and high frquency at the power stage
                Exactly.

I have no idea how people could think it´s a treble or even "ultra treble control".... but maybe both my ears and my oscilloscope are totally shot to hell

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                  Exactly.

I have no idea how people could think it´s a treble or even "ultra treble control".... but maybe both my ears and my oscilloscope are totally shot to hell
                  Maybe. Maybe mine are. I always heard more high treble and not really high mids.

Comment

It really depends .... On some amps it seems to work as an upper mid boost. But on others, like my mesa 20/20, it seems to simply boost the upper frequencies like a treble boost.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Maybe. Maybe mine are. I always heard more high treble and not really high mids.
                      Some amps leave a bit of that impression, and of course the voicing isn´t the exact same on every amp. But it´s almost universally in the area between the mid and treble controls.

BTW, I probably came off as a bit of an ass

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        It really depends
                        The correct answer!

It does whatever the amp mfg designed it to do!

-a

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                          It really depends .... On some amps it seems to work as an upper mid boost. But on others, like my mesa 20/20, it seems to simply boost the upper frequencies like a treble boost.
                          Originally posted by HoWheels View Post
                          The correct answer!

It does whatever the amp mfg designed it to do!

-a
                          Yeah, I guess it does depend. Like Marshall's Contour control on some of their older Valvestates are mid frequency controls, but I've heard other people and other manufacturers describe them as a presence control.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerberus View Post
                            Some amps leave a bit of that impression, and of course the voicing isn´t the exact same on every amp. But it´s almost universally in the area between the mid and treble controls.

BTW, I probably came off as a bit of an ass
                            This is why I like here, there are lots of really well knowledged people and they don't act like asses, even if they do they can realize it Yeah I'm acting like an ass though I'm not that well knowledged :ROTF:
                            Check my bands!
                            www.myspace.com/magicktr
                            www.myspace.com/sinif64
                            www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

"presence" is the high frquencies above the treble control and is usually controled at the power amp.

those of you saying its between the mid and treble are referring to a "contour" control. some companies misslable things and some companies call some things by other names.

BUT, presence is ultra high frequncies and usually is used to add gain to those ultra high frequencies.
                              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                              X