where to buy parts in the uk?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• where to buy parts in the uk?

after today, i will never trust a guitar shop to repair my guitars again. my prized possession only went in for a setup and it now has surface scratches and a dodgy output. i know for a fact neither of these were there before i took it in. i'll be collecting it monday/tuesday to see wtf else they've done to my baby. i don't want to spend 150 quid, just the right stuff for the time when something goes wrong. the fees these guitar shops charge is a complete piss take. so.... i need a soldering iron, flux, and components. what else?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Small Phillips screwdrivers and 2.5 & 3mm Allen wrenches. Wire cutters for strings. Get some polish, string cleaner and fretboard conditioner and you will be all set.
    http://www.trevor-jordan.com/

Comment

Soldering iron and tools from Maplins and www.axesrus.co.uk are good for guitar parts.
      www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

You need a carpetted bench, with a support for the neck/headstock, and get a load of beer towels to cover the body up if you are thinking of doing any soldering, the last thing you want is great globs of solder spunking onto the finish. In fact, if you are unused to soldering, take care, the horrors I've seen inside control cavities defies belief! Don't use great big shovel-size tips, and heat the job, not the solder! You'll need a 25 watt iron with a nice fine tip for tagging wire etc and maybe a 40 watt for soldering to pot cases (does the job nice and quickly and hot enough to "take" to the case). Practice soldering stuff before you go anywhere near the guitar itself, or it'll end up looking like a dog's breakfast and you might end up with melted components. Think about the job, take your time!

Get an old toothbrush for getting crud off the guitar, maybe a cheapo multimeter, allen keys and box wrench for truss rod, that's about it really.

Alternatively, you could always PM someone else from Blighty who may just do it for you for a few beers if they aren't too far away.
        So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

thanks. i'm picking up the guitar this week fixed or not. in fact, i'm wondering if i would be within my rights to demand they replace it at their own cost . none of my friends in blighty fix guitars, dang...
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

I reckon you'll have a fight on your hands, maybe try and tap them up for some swag as compensation, or even refuse to pay for the work.

I would think you could get surface scratches out of the finish - depending on what kind of scratches they are, perhaps they might be cut and polish-able? As it's not at all my field, I wouldn't really advise you on anything, but I'm sure one of the resident paint gurus here would be able to tell you the best way to work them out. Ask them (who-ever they may be) !!!! New thread with pics?

Anyway, as for not having any friends in Blighty who fix guitars, I'm down near J1 of the M6 if that's any use to you, and sometimes I'm up Nottingham way all tooled up (oo-er) working, so if I can help, let me know. (Apart from paintwork issues LOL)
            So I woke up,rolled over and who was lying next to me? Only Bonnie Langford!

I nearly broke her back

Comment

Working...
            X