Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• crack in neck socket

hey people
    i got a dk2 and today i noticed theres a crack on the body right on the neck pocket.. the crack starts right on the 90 degree and is about 4 cm long

the crack existis only on the left side of the pocket (the side thats facing me when i sit and play)

it wasnt there when i bought the guitar around a year ago

my local music store offers 1 year warranty .. do you think they'll do anything about it because i bought it really close to a year ago and the warranty is allmost over..

i havent noticed change in neck, action , playability or sound so maybe the crack doesnt affect anything and its a minor problem..

what should i do ?

ill try to take pics later
    Last edited by MichaelLitvak; 12-01-2006, 04:18 PM.
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

That happens all the time on bolt ons. Most likely just a crack in the paint and nothing to worry about.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

retailers in general won't fix or replace for free outside of 7 days (well, that's the uk anyway). you can try, after all, you don't get if you don't ask. i'd be tempted to remove the neck to see if there's any hidden damage.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

"Crack in neck pocket".. I thought.. you guess what I was thinking!
        "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Comment

Originally posted by StukaJU87 View Post
          That happens all the time on bolt ons. Most likely just a crack in the paint and nothing to worry about.

so i got nothing to worry about?
          heres a pic.. its not my guitar.. my camera is too crappy
          this is a random guitar from google and the pink line represents the exact length and location of the crack

If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

i wouldn't tolerate that kind of damage.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

EVERY one of my J/C Dinky boltons has that crack... nothing to worry about! Its going to happen, no way around that... you can return the guitar for one without it, but I guarantee it will appear sooner or later, its just the nature of the beast.
              Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Yep, very common and NO big deal at all dude. It's just the clear cracking from the little bit of wood flex right there. It's even worse on guitar bodies with scalloped heels.
                My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

alright thats good to know what causes it anyway?
                  also.. are all dinky necks a few mm above the body ? the neck on my guitar doesnt touch the body after the neck joint (15,16,17th frets and etc.) .. it was like that when i bought it.. other jacksons were like that too i think

Comment

If your talking about the actual fretboard, then yes, it is supposed to be a few mm above the body usually.
                    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

alright thanks people... my worries are gone now i dont have to sell my pile o skulls dk2 XD

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                        EVERY one of my J/C Dinky boltons has that crack... nothing to worry about! Its going to happen, no way around that... you can return the guitar for one without it, but I guarantee it will appear sooner or later, its just the nature of the beast.
                        I bought my '94 string-thru Dinky HX brand new back around '95... there's still no cracks in it at all. And I can assure you, it's not been babied or kept in a case.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've been lucky -- only 1 of the 5 '80s Jackson dinkys / strats I have had the neck pocket finish crack. But I have seen lots and lots of pics of guitars with that issue, so it is quite common (and quite harmless.)

Comment

If it's new, I'd personally take it back. yeah, I hear all the time how it's commonplace, but I have owned roughly 50 guitars in my life, and few have had that. Just my 2 cents.
                            I'm not Ron!

Comment

well i'd like to but i bought it a year ago.. dont think i can.. the year warranty wont do shit either =/

Comment

Working...
                              X