Floyd rose install!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd rose install!

Question for the experts. I recently bought a Jackson DKMG, and I wanted to replace the Licensed FR for a true one. Can this be done? Of course I wouldn't attempt to do it myself. As far as cost, would it be worth? As opposed to spending $2000 on a US jackson, I would rather spend the extra couple of hundred dollars and have this done. Any opinions or suggestions will be appreciated! thanks.

If it's a JT-580LP, the Floyd will fit just fine.
    It's a straight swap.
    Use the existing nut and trem posts form the JT-580LP.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by profetaxxi View Post
      Question for the experts. I recently bought a Jackson DKMG, and I wanted to replace the Licensed FR for a true one. Can this be done? Of course I wouldn't attempt to do it myself.
      Welcome to the forum.
      Of course it can be done. Why wouldn't you do it yourself? All you have to do is take the old one off, attach the springs to the new one and you're all set. Though, what's wrong with the trem that's on there now? The licesned units are pretty good and do what they're supposed to do.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by rjohnstone View Post
        If it's a JT-580LP, the Floyd will fit just fine.
        It's a straight swap.
        Use the existing nut and trem posts form the JT-580LP.
        This wouldn't be a licensed one? Where can I find original ones? Ty.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Welcome to the forum.
          Of course it can be done. Why wouldn't you do it yourself? All you have to do is take the old one off, attach the springs to the new one and you're all set. Though, what's wrong with the trem that's on there now? The licesned units are pretty good and do what they're supposed to do.
          Well, I've been reading a lot of reviews, that the licensed ones won't hold the guitar in tune. So I decided to go for the original one. Although I'm not doing it right away.

Comment

The JT-580LP is what's on your guitar now. He just means you can swap in the Original Floyd in its place no problem. It'll work fine with the existing posts and nut that are on the guitar.
            I've played plenty of the import trems, never had a problem staying in tune. Forget about the reviews... most of them are by people that don't know you need to stretch your strings out well before locking the nut down.

Comment

The JT-580LP is what's on your guitar now. He just means you can swap in the Original Floyd in its place no problem. It'll work fine with the existing posts and nut that are on the guitar.
              I get that. I just haven't been able to find the original one for purchase.

Comment

Ebay is always an option. I live in the UK and had to source one from Warmoth in Seattle, still worked out cheaper than going through a main dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by SEAN RAF View Post
                  Ebay is always an option. I live in the UK and had to source one from Warmoth in Seattle, still worked out cheaper than going through a main dealer.
                  I'll give them a call to see if they have it. So far, nothing on Ebay. Thanks man.

Comment

It seems to me that it will be very hard to find this original trem, my other option would be to drill roles and install the original trem on this guitar. Wonder how much that will cost me.

Comment

Maybe this will work. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...1592&rd=1&rd=1
                      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by fett View Post
                        That's got a 42mm block for a non-recessed trem. His guitar has a recessed trem with a 32mm block. If the blocks are swappable between the two different trems, then he'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by profetaxxi View Post
                          It seems to me that it will be very hard to find this original trem, my other option would be to drill roles and install the original trem on this guitar. Wonder how much that will cost me.
                          What are you talking about?

FYI, one of our board sponsors Jacksonite would probably be more than happy to give you a good deal on an OFR. I've also seen them at Carvin, Ed Roman (has a bad rep), Warmoth, Stewmac (pricey) and a bunch of other places. They're not that hard to find really.
                          |My CSG gallery|
                          (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

That's got a 42mm block for a non-recessed trem. His guitar has a recessed trem with a 32mm block. If the blocks are swappable between the two different trems, then he'll be fine.
                            I'm sure we can help him.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: Once he's been around awhile. If he doesn't snag it, I will.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF:
                            Last edited by fett; 12-01-2006, 03:32 PM.
                            I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Originally posted by m2pmd70 View Post
                              What are you talking about?

FYI, one of our board sponsors Jacksonite would probably be more than happy to give you a good deal on an OFR. I've also seen them at Carvin, Ed Roman (has a bad rep), Warmoth, Stewmac (pricey) and a bunch of other places. They're not that hard to find really.
                              I would really appreciate it man! Tell me who to contact!

Comment

Working...
                              X