Pickup suggestions for maple?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions for maple?

I've got a pre-pro charvel tele with a maple body, maple neck, and ebony fretboard. It has a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck. I love the 59, but the JB is a little too brittle. I'm looking for something to fatten up the bridge a bit. Any suggestions? I play hard rock and metal.

Hard to beat a Duncan Custom, imo. I haven't heard one in an all-maple bodied guitar, though. I can definitely believe the JB would be pretty harsh in there.

Comment

Swap pickup positions and see if that helps JBs sound pretty good in the neck.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

You want fatness, you say? Try one of the higher-output Andersons.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
          Swap pickup positions and see if that helps JBs sound pretty good in the neck.
          Sounds like an experiment for next weekend. The 59 in the neck actually has a "59b" sticker on the back. I'm thinking if I like the 59 in the bridge, this guitar might get a 59 set and become my classic rock guitar. It'll be interesting to hear the JB in the neck.......

Comment

Originally posted by Dave L View Post
            You want fatness, you say? Try one of the higher-output Andersons.
            Anderson pickups might be a little hard to come by in Australia. I'll check out their website.

DG, what is the custom like tonally?
            Last edited by mab8485; 11-28-2006, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I guess there is a risk of Anderson not producing any more pickups, but I´m sure there are plenty left unsold. And I´m also pretty sure they should have an australian dealer.

Comment

George Lynch used Duncan Distortions in his all maple strats back when Dokken was Rokken.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by mab8485 View Post
                  Anderson pickups might be a little hard to come by in Australia. I'll check out their website.

DG, what is the custom like tonally?

Duncan describes the Custom as a "PAF on steroids" and that's a great description. It's got some of the character of the '59, but with more output & sustain. It's got a great combination of good clear mids, awesome harmonics, and tight bottom end. I've got Customs in 3 different guitars: my Model 6, Dweezil Charvel, and I just put one in my SD pointy Charvel after trying out a Custom 5 for a while (lacked mids, imo, & had less of a biting tone than I like). Each one sounds great but completely different from the others, so it's a pickup that doesn't overwhelm the guitar's natural tone. The Distortion is also a great pickup, and is my 2nd favorite right now.
                  Last edited by dg; 11-28-2006, 10:47 AM.

Comment

Characteristics for maple usually are = bright and loads of sustain.
                    I love maple bodies.
                    What I've use and sampled in maple bodies.
                    Screamin Demon = Designed for Lynch's signature guitars. Great pickups does everything well.
                    EVH = A warmer pickup but sounds killer in maple and sound wonderful clean in maple as well. Brings out alot its characteristics that are masked in a basswood body. Its sustains well also in a maple body.
                    Duncan Custom 5 = Just an all around very good pickup. Its the pickup used frequently by Jackson and Charvel in some of the guitars. Sounds good in a maple too.

Remember maple is bright and some pu's used in combination with maple, cause your picking hand techq to stand out, really stand out.
                    Just something I thought you should know. For some this is a big deal and for some its not. For me, it made me work harder to improve my picking hand techq because I didn't notice it much on my other electric. Nonetheless, I love maple bodies regardless.
                    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

+1 Duncan Distortion for MAPLE!!!!!

Comment

DiMarzio Tone Zone!
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I have a Duncan Screamin' Demon ready to go into my maple body/neck combination ala Lynch. If I ever get my body and neck back from Paul at Bighead I'll let you know how it sounds!
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Dimarzio Super3 would be my first try for an all-maple guitar. A high output warm sounding pup. Next thing would be a Duncan Invader.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              George Lynch used Duncan Distortions in his all maple strats back when Dokken was Rokken.
                              +1

Comment

Working...
                              X