How to get D-Tuna to work properly?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to get D-Tuna to work properly?

Installed a D-Tuna on my Charvel Star today. When pulled out, it's in D like it should be, but when I push it back in to go to E, it only goes to Eb. WTF?!?
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

I had a similar problem and figured it out after a 'well Duh' moment.

Tune the guitar to D with the fine tuner all the way up so it is just touching the the post. Lock down the guitar and give it a final tuning.

Push in the D-Tuna and use the little allen wrench tuner on the D-Tuna itself to tune to E. I was using the Floyd fine tuner an it would never be in tune with E and D.
    http://www.jacknapalm.com/

Comment

I tried all that. The little allen set screw wasn't doing shit.

Comment

Don't get me wrong, but did you block the floyd or install a tremsetter?
        Check my bands!
        www.myspace.com/magicktr
        www.myspace.com/sinif64
        www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

Btw,does anyone know if d-tuna would fit an edge pro II bridge?

(I'm asking this for a friend)
          I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by Norton View Post
            Btw,does anyone know if d-tuna would fit an edge pro II bridge?

(I'm asking this for a friend)
            Edge pro IIs are low profile so that's not possible But I don't know if anyone has been able to modify the d-tuna to fit low profile trems...
            Check my bands!
            www.myspace.com/magicktr
            www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
              Edge pro IIs are low profile so that's not possible But I don't know if anyone has been able to modify the d-tuna to fit low profile trems...

Thanks for your assistance my friend :ROTF:
              I wish my hair-color was EDS :/

Comment

Originally posted by NextInLine View Post
                Don't get me wrong, but did you block the floyd or install a tremsetter?
                +1. IIRC, D'Tunas only work if the Floyd is blocked for no pull-ups. Not gonna work with a fully floating set-up that the Star came with standard.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  +1. IIRC, D'Tunas only work if the Floyd is blocked for no pull-ups. Not gonna work with a fully floating set-up that the Star came with standard.
                  I lowered the Floyd so it's resting on the body.

Comment

Never tried that personally, Toe, but I doubt the D'Tuna will work correctly set-up like that.

Comment

Why not? It's the same as being blocked... you can't pull up. EVH's guitars have the trem resting on the body.
                      Anyway, I gave up for now and just took the thing off. I'll just use my fixed bridge guitars for Drop-D tuning from now on. Or maybe I'll try it again at the next string change and see if I can't get it sorted out.

Comment

Jack Napalm had the correct instructions, as seen here:
                        http://www.dtuna.com/setup4.html

The instructions worked for my EVH Charvel B/Y and for my wolfgangs.

Maybe check the setting of the little allen set-screw, maybe it's in too far already to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Why not? It's the same as being blocked... you can't pull up. EVH's guitars have the trem resting on the body.
                          Anyway, I gave up for now and just took the thing off. I'll just use my fixed bridge guitars for Drop-D tuning from now on. Or maybe I'll try it again at the next string change and see if I can't get it sorted out.
                          Maybe you should set it up normally, then block it and try it that way. You will see if the problem is with your d-tuna or with the setup Too much hassle though...
                          Check my bands!
                          www.myspace.com/magicktr
                          www.myspace.com/sinif64

Comment

Originally posted by MountainDog View Post
                            Jack Napalm had the correct instructions, as seen here:
                            http://www.dtuna.com/setup4.html

The instructions worked for my EVH Charvel B/Y and for my wolfgangs.

Maybe check the setting of the little allen set-screw, maybe it's in too far already to start with.
                            Yeah, I'll have to check the screw next time I set it up. It was brand new in the package, and I did everything according to the directions. I even checked the D-Tuna site as well to make sure I didn't miss something.

Comment

Working...
                            X