Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone Do DIY Gunstock Oil Neck Finishing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone Do DIY Gunstock Oil Neck Finishing?

I'm thinkin' about ordering the Complete Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish Kit from http://www.birchwoodcasey.com/sport/index.html. I want to apply it to a USACG's neck I just got.
    Anyone do this sort of thang? Is this an O.K. thing to do? Any tips?
    thanxms!

Tru oil is the best I use it a lot.Lightly sand the back of the neck 800 grit works well.Wipe down the neck with a soft cloth.Apply the tru oil with a soft cloth and rub in.One or two applications will do(don't go too heavy).After a month or so oil it again.It will start to darken pretty quickly if you play it a lot and get smoother as well.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I did a tung oil finish on my Stars SL7. I've never tried gun stock oil, but this is my second neck with a tung oil finish, and it works great for me. Never gums up, always stays nice and smooth.

This is the end results of twenty coats, sanding with 00000 steel wool in between coats. I finished off with three coats of carnuba wax.

Comment

Boiled Linseed Oil. Worked the best for me, and I tried Tru-oil and tung.

Pete

Comment

J/C oiled necks are one single thin coat. Which I personally question the amount of protection that one thin layer would provide, but the feel is spectacular. When you build many layers of tru oil, it becomes more like any other surface film finish and feels "sticky" on a neck.

How to apply it depends on what you are finishing.... You can build many thicker coats and do a gloss finish on a body, or just a few thin coats on a neck to protect the wood and still give a great natural feel.

I have nothing but great things to say about that finish though. Just decide how you want to use it, and what effect you're looking for, and apply it accordingly

Comment

As long as you don't use too much tru oil when you first treat the neck you should be fine.I have never had any build up problem.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

thnx guys!

should i get the kit that includes:
              * 3 oz TRU-OIL Gun Stock Finish
              * 3 oz Walnut Stain
              * 3 oz Stock Sheen & Conditioner
              * Fine, Medium and Coarse Papers
              * 00 Steel Wool Pads
              * Service and Polish Cloths
              * Complete Instruction Guide

or save a bunch of money and just score a can of the Tru-Oil Gun Stock Finish?

Comment

Get a bottle from wally or a gunshop.... you dont need all that junk.... a bag of steel wool will set you back about $3.00.... and the T-O is about $5.00... Read the online instructions at birchwood casey, but I would sand to a much higher grit than the instructions say.... I went to 600 and then steel wool with excellent results.

Comment

Working...
                X