What are the best Patch Cables?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are the best Patch Cables?

My pedal Board Consist of a TU-2, Wah, Overdrive, Chorus, and a BBE sonic Stomp. Ive got Monster cable but sub-par patch cables. I was wondering what everyone uses and if anyone has used the "make your own" kits? My options are
    1) George L's
    2) Planet waves kit
    3) CoreX kit(found these in MF)
    4) Monster pre-made patch cables
    I hear some negative about the George L's that if you move them to much, they Break or somthing... Is this a concern? (I use batteries, So I am always moving the pedals....)

Thanks again for the opinions...
    "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

George L's.Have had them for years no problems.FWIW my guitar cable has been stretched,stepped on, twisted tighter than Dick's hatband landed in mud etc you name it and still as good as new.
    Man you must spend tons of money on batteries.
    Last edited by straycat; 11-16-2006, 11:20 PM.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

i hate george l's. i've made a bunch of them. they are very sensitive to getting the cut just right and the bend just right. they are not sturdy. but if you do go with them, buy a cable tester. it will save you much grief.

the planet waves kits are awesome - they are way more rugged - i snagged 3 sets when they were on sale for $29.99.
      I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I've been using George L's for almost 10 years and can't remember having ONE problem with them as long as I took the time to properly construct them.

If you have problems with George L's, then I think it's pretty safe to say that you don't know how to construct them. Read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
          I've been using George L's for almost 10 years and can't remember having ONE problem with them as long as I took the time to properly construct them.

If you have problems with George L's, then I think it's pretty safe to say that you don't know how to construct them. Read the instructions carefully.
          i've made plenty of them. they're easy to make. it's safe to say i know how to construct them. i've used them off and on for years. i'm pretty much done with them for good now. as soon as you start moving things around a bunch the george l's are way to fragile. i know quite a number of folks that have given up on george l's because you need to baby them. the planet waves system is much better - better cable, better connectors, and rock solid.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
            i've made plenty of them. they're easy to make. it's safe to say i know how to construct them. i've used them off and on for years. i'm pretty much done with them for good now. as soon as you start moving things around a bunch the george l's are way to fragile. i know quite a number of folks that have given up on george l's because you need to baby them. the planet waves system is much better - better cable, better connectors, and rock solid.
            Thanks Guys....
            anyone else have any experience??
            "Now remember, things look bad and it looks like you're not gonna make it, then you gotta get mean. I mean plumb, mad-dog mean. 'Cause if you lose your head and you give up then you neither live nor win. That's just the way it is. ":JOSEY WALES

Comment

If you want top of the line go with Monster... Good investment for a top dollar cable you'll never have to buy again.

That's all I buy now. The comfort knowing I can replace it for any reason is worth the extra money, IMO.
              Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

I've got a ton of George L's cables and constantly move things around on my pedalboard and don't have any problems. Not trying to pee ya off, but I don't think you or the other folks know how to put them together. Making them is easy, making them CORRECTLY is key.

But if the Planet Waves system is working for ya that's all that matters.

Comment

I have a couple of Monster cables, but the ends are just a hair thicker than other brands. I've found that on guitars where I've used Monster cables extensively, that when using a different brand, they don't fit snug. I have since switched to LiveWires for all my patch and speaker cables. It was time to retire the Radio Shack crap!
                  sigpic

Comment

well chad, as i said i do know how to make them. really. but just to take my cable construction out of the equation, my first george l cable was in fact a premade 15 footer from george l (in their own packaging). it lasted about a month before it started shorting out. it was easy to fix - but the point is i had to fix it within a month. next you're going to tell me that someone at george l doesn't know how to make them either. i've still got whirlwind cables that have been working flawlessly for over 15-20 years.

if you don't want to make your own cables, i strongly recommend lava cables - they're made with neutrik connectors and they make your cords out of just about any good brand of cable out there. i have a number of their canare cables - very good stuff. and by the time you buy a george l's or planet waves kit, it's about the same money.

http://lavacable.com

- Newc

Comment

if you don't want to make your own cables, i strongly recommend lava cables
                      +1, been using Lava's for a few years now with ZERO problems. I buy the Canare's from him and have my whole rack wired with them.

Comment

George L's for me as well...I never had a problem after I learned how to terminate them properly. I like them because they are not big and bulky...I noticed an improvement in tone over the cheapies I was using previously
                        shawnlutz.com

Comment

I make my own cables. I can get the best bulk cable and connectors from a local supplier and can make what ever type I need (XLR,TS,TRS,speaker,Ipod and 1/8 to 1/4 etc) and custom lengths. If they go bad its my fault and I can cuss myself out. Ive made cables for others too and they are still running strong.

Comment

I use all Mogami from Hotwired cables on the bay! They got great prices and a lot of sizes/configs. I also have a Zaolla thats real nice! But they are soooo pricey!!
                            I love admins!

Comment

Mogami and Canare.

Comment

Working...
                              X