Pickups/wood question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups/wood question

I'm looking to pickup an SL2H in the near future, it's my understanding that they are made of alder and maple and that JB's and 59's come standard. My 2 main guitars right now are basswood (EBMM Petrucci and Ibanez RG1520). I'm using Dimarzio Breed pickups in both and LOVE the tone I'm getting through my rig (rack setup).

I've never owned an alder guitar, only basswood and mahogany, but I've heard it can be very bright. Any input on the alder/Duncans combination vs basswood/Breeds? Ideally I don't want to have to change my presets and keep the same or similar tone. Thanks guys!

If I were you I'd put the breeds in there, no doubt about it.

Alder + DiMarzio = good stuff

Comment

Alder is more in the middle when it comes to tone. the JB/59 are high on the treble side, so you may what to swap. The JB/59 is the most Classic pickup set, so give em try.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        Alder is more in the middle when it comes to tone. the JB/59 are high on the treble side, so you may what to swap. The JB/59 is the most Classic pickup set, so give em try.
        I have the JB/59 combo in my Les Paul and LOVE the way it sounds, but that's mahogany/maple. I've only had the chance to play a soloist in the store, not through my rig (modded MP-1, Triaxis, Mesa 2:90) so it's tough to tell how it'll sound. Guess I'll just wait and see how it sounds!

Comment

Some are using the Duncan Custom 5 in alder/maple bodies. I've got various DiMarzio's in some, but my SL2H and SL1 have the Stock SD '59 and JB combination. They seem to sound fine in those guitars.
          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

JBs are weird, ive had a few & in some guitars they sounds great some not so good. my wayne & hamer sound great with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
              Some are using the Duncan Custom 5 in alder/maple bodies. I've got various DiMarzio's in some, but my SL2H and SL1 have the Stock SD '59 and JB combination. They seem to sound fine in those guitars.
              The Custom 5 came in my alder Charvel Star, but it was too scooped in the mids for my tastes. The Jazz in the neck is great, but it's a little bright (I do prefer brighter neck pups, though). The '59 is a little warmer, nice, but it can be a little muddy, IMO.
              I've now got a DiMarzio Tone Zone in the bridge in place of the C5 and am much happier. And JBs I think are too bright in the treble and high mids, and it's a pretty overrated pup to me.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

steve via uses the evolution in his alder jems.
                a ton of people use the jb. (didn't really work for me)
                i've heard really good results with the duncan invader (or whatever pup has the big silly allen bolts)
                the Xn2 sounds good in alder to me.
                love EMG's in alder.
                Duncan Distortion is realy hot in alder.
                the custom custom is alittle more rock and roll but is real sweet for solo sounds.
                and dave murray always used Super Distortions in his alder strats.

its all personal preference.
                Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Working...
                X