Tips for installing a neck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tips for installing a neck

I'm just about to put a new neck on a strat copy, its a fender Mex deluxe strat neck.

Is there anything i need to worry about or should it just be a simple unscrew the old neck and put the new one on?

Let me know if there is anything i will need to do or be careful of when putting it in.

Also another question, is there a difference between a strat copy body and an actual fender body in terms of tone? besides the wood that is, do good pickups and a good neck and an ok body make a good guitar? or does the body effect tone beyond the rest?

Cheers

Well tone is all relative to the piece of wood. Each piece sounds differant.
    The main thing to worry about it making sure the screw holes line up in the new neck to the ones on the body. The work is pretty easy as long as everything lines up right. The neck pocket may be a differant size. Too small and you can make it bigger by hand woth sand paper and then fit it to the neck. But then you wont be able to put the original neck back on cus the pocket wil be too big. Etc...
    other than that shouldnt be a problem.
    Gil

Comment

Cheers, when it comes in ill give it a go and see how it lines up.

Comment

It depends on what strat copy body you are going to use.If the body is plywood most likely it will sound dead.If the body is a solid hunk of wood it will probibly sound ok.Wood does make a big difference in tone.Pickups play a big role too.Its all subjective to what you prefer.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm not sure if I'm going into way too much detail here, so if I am feel free to ignore me If the neck you're putting on is undrilled, you'll need to make sure to properly line the neck up when drilling/mounting or you'll have some really funky string placement on the fretboard. Here's what I do, and all it requires are two C clamps, two guitar strings, and a drill... oh and a screwdriver of course LOL
          1. Put the neck into the body and line the neck plate up over the screw holes in the back
          2. Line it up as best as you can and clamp it down with 1 or 2 C clamps. Tighten them just enough to hold the neck in place but to allow some wiggle room
          3. install low and high E strings and tighten only to the point where they are slightly taught. Sight down the neck and adjust the neck position in the body until the strings line up perfectly down each side, with equal space etc.
          4. Tighten the C clamps
          5. Using a 1/8" drill bit, drill your neck screw mounting holes using the body holes as a guide to keep your drilling straight
          6. Insert screws all the way around and tighten
          7. Remove the C clamps
          That should do it. It's the bare version of course, but if you need more details I'd be glad to offer any help i can!
          - Adam

Comment

If it's plywood just throw some EMGs in it - they don't care
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              If it's plywood just throw some EMGs in it - they don't care

Comment

Thanks guys, it is plywood but it sounds very alive, i dont know, its an old body, so maybe its aged well???

The neck is in, sits ok, will post pics later

Comment

Working...
                X