Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Routing out room for new pickup?

Hey hey hey!
    If things go as planned I'll be buying this here beauty by the end of the week:

I'm of course talking about the guitar, not the Liverpool logo in the back
    I have a question though: If I think one pickup isn't enough, is it possible to have room made for a new pickup? I was thinking of a single coil in particular. Is it doable? Will it cost a lot of money, is it worth it?
    I will not be doing it by myself, as I have no experience with these things myself. I think this is a fairly normal thing to do? Correct me if I'm wrong though!
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

Leave it alone, put a EMG 89 that is 2 pickup in one a S/H . If you want a 2 pickup guitar buy one don't destroy this one with a mod.

Comment

Fair enough Don't get me wrong, this one is gorgeous as it is! I guess I'm asking more in general, not just for this guitar. Really don't wanna f*** it up

Comment

Technically, it's very doable. Routing out for a single coil in the neck + drilling a wire route, won't hurt the construction.
        Finding a person who can do it properly might be harder. Good luthiers / cabinetmakers in Norway? You tell me.

For a pro, this would cost you 1 hour of labour, maybe 2.

If it's worth it? Guitardude, that's a silly question - it's up to you
        Henrik
        AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Thats a very resectable mod 2 I wouldnt mod it at all these are getting very hard to find.Its an 86 BTW.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Noooo! Don't route that thing out! Single hum guitars rock, chicks dig them!
            Last edited by levantin; 11-15-2006, 03:29 AM.
            I feel festive all year round. Deal with it.

Comment

I´d leave that like it is, buy another guitar to suit your singlecoil needs. But no, the routing is not a problem for a professional or someone who really knows how to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson1 View Post
                If it's worth it? Guitardude, that's a silly question - it's up to you
                You're right of course! Hey I like your name, same as mine!
                Don't worry guys, I won't route this one out. I was actually more curious if this was a "normal" thing to do and you guys answered my question brilliantly; While it's doable, it's obviously not recommended if it fucks up the look of the guitar

This guitar is an 86? In that case it's as old as I am.. How cool is that!
                This is definitely a keeper!

Comment

Originally posted by levantin View Post
                  Noooo! Don't route that thing out! Single hum guitars rock, chicks dig them!
                  Damn, why did I have to go and get myself engaged!

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                    Hey I like your name, same as mine!

Shit, I wanna see a pic of your parents if they named you jackson1 :ROTF: Cool Henrik!
                    Henrik

Comment

You don't wanna see my dad man, he's got long black hair and lately he's let his beard grow so much he kinda looks like a mixture of Carl Marx and Tommy Chong the way he looks in That 70's Show! As if that isn't enough he's currently at an institution cause he's schizophrenic and freaks out if he lives alone.. Apparently it was drug abuse that caused this, so the doctors say anyway. And I don't even smoke sigarettes! Go figure!

Comment

Damn Henrik, what a story! I hope for the best.

If you need parental guidance, come to the JCF! ......on a second thought.... don't!
                        Henrik

Comment

Henrik, I'm already coming here on a daylie basis... There's no hope.. No future!

Comment

Hmm I'm mighty curious about the Tremol-no.. Basically what it does is let you play drop D by the turn of a screw doesn't it?
                            I've never had a Kahler-equipped guitar before, so here goes a potentially stupid question: Can the Tremol-no be installed on Kahler-equipped guitars, or do you have to have a Floyd Rose for it to work? I'm used to FR's, so if I'm not comfortable with the Kahler I'll probably install an OFR.
                            I'll give the Kahler a shot though, a lot of people seem to prefer them!

Comment

The Tremol-no is designed to work on most trems that have the spring claw & sustain block type setup. It will probably work with the Kahler Fulcrum, but you might want to to take a few pics of the rear trem cavity & show them to the guys at the forum on the Tremol-no site. The inventor, Kevan, posts there & I'm sure he could tell you if he thinks it would fit.

If you decide to put a floyd on that guitar, be aware that the post spacing is way more narrow than that of an OFR or any licensed floyd. The best retrofit for those trems is the Kahler 2710 "Killer", which is double-locking & has the same post spacing. They don't make them any more, but they pop up on eBay.

As far as adding a pickup. It's all a matter of opinion. IMO, there's nothing wrong with modding an import Charvel as long as it's done well. I think it's wrong to mess with an old San Dimas Charvel or Jackson because so few were made & far fewer survived in all-original condition, but they made tens of thousands of the imports. If you plan on keeping it, make it suit you. Others disagree & I can respect that, but that's my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X