Charvel/Jackson U.S.A. Nut????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel/Jackson U.S.A. Nut????

I am having a bit of tuning trouble on one of my axes.

Where would one find a Charvel or Jackson standard nut? I think my tech mentioned it's a weird size(all parts, etc wouldn't work)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Is it a Kahler type nut? Or the import Floyd Rose type?

Comment

Are we talking about a locking nut here or the standard ones?

If it´s a standard non-locking nut then find a tech that knows how to do nut work, sizing up the blank is the most basic part. The standard J/C material is a phenolic resin IIRC, I prefer to replace it with either a graphtech nut or a bone one, depending on which look I prefer on that axe.

Locking nuts on standard USAs with a 1 11/16" width are standard Schaller made OFR R4 nuts IIRC....I think Stewmac has tehm as well as guitarpartsresource.com
      Last edited by Zerberus; 11-13-2006, 07:07 PM.

Comment

it's a standard nut, but does have a kahler stringlock as some would call it.

what does IIRC mean?

Comment

IIRC= If I recall correctly.

Comment

thanx, it was driving me crazy!

Comment

Have a tech look at the nut and see if it is "pinching" The string in question.Cleaning and smoothing the nut slot should fix the problem.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Yeah, most tuning issues with that set-up arise from the "regular" nut, not the locking one behind it. Check that the slots are smooth, not snagging the string and not worn too deep, maybe put some graphite in there... you should be good to go in no time. If you do need to replace it, start with a quality blank and have your tech cut it properly.

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06 View Post
                  it's a standard nut, but does have a kahler stringlock as some would call it.

what does IIRC mean?
                  If you´re using it with a Kahler lock, I would definitely go the Graptech route, the Trem nuts are really beneficial in that situation. I actually prefer that setup to an OFR nut because it doesn´t limit my string guage selection as much and stays in tune just as well. Not having the huge OFR nut in the way when sliding down the string past the nut is an added plus

Comment

i passed along the info to my tech.

never heard of a BONE nut b4...he said cutting it is like being at the dentist's office while a filling is being drilled! i hate that smell

pretty sure a graphite one is going to be made.

hopefully that'll solve the tuning bug once and for all.

Comment

Bone is a great material for nuts. Heck all hand-made BCRs have bone nuts.
                      The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Good to know Julian...

also would look nice on a maple neck!

Comment

Originally posted by JZ06 View Post
                          also would look nice on a maple neck!
                          True!
                          The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                          X