Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pick up cutting out

Gents,
    I did a search, but after 6-7 pages of reading decided to ask instead. I soldered in some pups (dual hb's) a week ago, but yesterday the neck pup had barely if any ouput. I had this same problem with these exact pick ups in another guitar. But it happened a year and a half after I had put them in. The neck pup started to act up and have almost no output. I resoldered the neck pick up and it worked for a couple of months before doing the same thing.
    I didn't use flux, so could the solder have some slight unseen oxidation that is causing the problem? Or could the solder (resin core) be breaking down? I bought the spool 4 years ago.

Thanks,
    JC
    Last edited by jabezcruz; 11-13-2006, 06:36 PM.

it appears you have some corrosion going on there.
    Always use flux.
    -Rick

Comment

Originally posted by jabezcruz View Post
      Gents,
      I did a search, but after 6-7 pages of reading decided to ask instead. I soldered in some pups (dual hb's) a week ago, but yesterday the neck pup had barely if any ouput. I had this same problem with these exact pick ups in another guitar. But it happened a year and a half after I had put them in. The neck pup started to act up and have almost no output. I resoldered the neck pick up and it worked for a couple of months before doing the same thing.
      I didn't use flux, so could the solder have some slight unseen oxidation that is causing the problem? Or could the solder (resin core) be breaking down? I bought the spool 4 year.

Tanks,
      JC
      When you resolder them, I would cut the old ends off and create new ones. Sometimes a wire will tarnish and even though its covered with solder its still not making a good connection. Since youve had this problem before with these pickups Id say start with freshly stripped leads.

Comment

" When you resolder them, I would cut the old ends off and create new ones. Sometimes a wire will tarnish and even though its covered with solder its still not making a good connection. Since youve had this problem before with these pickups Id say start with freshly stripped leads."

Thanks for the tips guys. Being in a hurry (anxious) seems to be my down fall.

Comment

Working...
        X