Help w/ bridge....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help w/ bridge....

Okay this has probably been adressed so many times, but I just needed a quick reply. I just got my new KE2 and it came w/ 9-42's and I tried to change them to 10-46's today. Now it's been like 3 years since I've owned a guitar w/ a dbl. locking trem because I've been playing LP's before, so I'm kinda rusty on this. So after I changed to the new set, the bridge moved forward as expected, so I opened the back cavity up to tighten the spring tension, but the screws were already on it's last couple of threads so I couldn't really tighten the screws any further. So I pulled up on the whammy just a tad bit and one of the strings broke.......I don't feel like paying $50-$80 just to get a set up by a tech, so I'm wondering if the solution would be to change the position of the springs, or to insert an additional spring or...? It'd probably be fine if the 2 screws weren't already so far into the guitar to begin with...

How many springs did it have installed? If the claw was already bottomed out, it probably only had two, right? 3 springs with 10s should be fine, and leave room for some adjustement.
    My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Well that's the weird thing, it came w/ 9-42's, it's got 3 springs in it now, and when I opened the back, only like a centimeter or the screws were sticking out, and I remember the last time I did this on my other Jackson, there was plenty of the screw sticking out to tighten.

Comment

If the springs are installed parallel, you can get a little more tension with a /l\ arrangement. The other options are to get stiffer springs or add a 4th one.

Comment

You had the nut locked didn't you?When adjusting the trem after installing heavier guage strings leave the nut unlocked until you have all adjustments done.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Just add another spring or two, then you'll have to back the screws out a little.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+1

Comment

Thanks guys, but the problem seems to be fixed now. The springs were in the /|\ position before but I changed it to ||| and tightened the springs even more and it's fine now. I've adjusted the intonation and everything so all seems to be fine now. However, I basically tightened the screws to almost the limit, but that should harm it in any way right? Because from now on I'm just gonna be using the same string gauge so I won't plan on adjusting it anymore.

Comment

I don't think it's advisable to screw the claw all the way in...wouldn't it stretch the springs too much? I would guess that you have really soft springs in it now? If it was me, I would go shop for heavier springs and redo the setup.

Comment

EVH had his screwed all the way in.If it plays fine and all is well I think you will be OK.Springs are cheap + you can change it later on if you want.

Comment

Working...
                    X