Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

52 gauge string too "tight" for regular tuning?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 52 gauge string too "tight" for regular tuning?

I bought a set of Elixir light/heavies to experiment with different tunigns on my SL2H.

These suckers feel TIGHT at regular tuning. Im curious if thats a good idea for the overall neck care, or unless im dropping down and leavin git there if i should just pick up some 10-46's to be safe?

Can all that tension do any damage?

I usually use Boomer custom lights (9-46) for my reguler tuning, and TNT's (9-52) for my D tuning... no issues,. In my old band, the other guiatrist used TNT's at regular tuning (A440) with no issues... does take a bit of getting used to....hope that helps

Comment

You'd more than likely need to adjust your truss rod going from 12s to 10s, and vice versa. But, I don't think 12s would cause any real damage to the neck.

Comment

well, it's 52-46-36, the rest are light strings............ so its not a full HEAVY set

Comment

Light Top/Heavy Bottom sets like that will have more tension on the bass side, and could pull the neck that way over time.

Aside from that, I don't think Floyd saddles and blocks are designed to handle anything larger than a 46.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Thanks Newc! I better get those strings off!

Comment

I used to use Gibson Sonomatics on an SG (hardtail) at std 440 tuning when I first started getting serious about playing/practicing. These were quite a switch from the typical 009-042 or 010-046. They really helped me with hand strength, vibrato and technique because at 12-52, they were like stringing piano wire on your guitar. Yeah, there's alot of tension there..on a Gibson its doable and even on a strat but you have to use heavy spring tension on a v trem.. ie;4-5 springs. I didn't like using them on a strat. I swapped out the wound third for plain.. experimented with an .018 and .017 but decided I really wanted the lighter top eventually. After about 6 months I went with a .016 or .015 plain 3rd and a lighter B and E.

Larger strings..they really improved the bottom end..they sound massive.
              I ended up settling on a .009 to .048 after some years and I still prefer light top, heavy bottoms.

Comment

Charvel, obviously never ran into any neck problems eh?!?

That sounds like a good gauge. Just enough to keep that low end tone, and not enough to kill the hands. I love the heavy sounds I get from this low 52, but at standard tuning its just crazy.

Comment

Well.. I was 15-16 at the time.. so a good 25+ years ago. First time I plugged into my Marshall with that set tho.. I went woah!

I seem to recall I started to be concerned about the tension too initially but also more as time went on I worried somewhat about the tension on the neck long term.. but overall.. no, no adjustments to a truss rod.. just the bridge. The guitar even had a headstock break and it helt up just fine. I later used that axe lot on the road.
                  The bridge saddles became a concern tho.. so I went to a gradually lighter gauge.. 050 bottom then settling on the 048... with the other strings being symetrically changed also. I really noticed an improved in my picking technique and I went from using mediums to heavier pick as a result of it, which also made an improvemnt. Other guys would pick up my guitar (Pete Kavula.. a very technical speed picker) and go.. 'this isn't for rock n roll'.. I'd be like "yeah, whatever"

Comment

haha, thanks for the insight. on a 150$ ibanez I wouldnt really mind, but on my new rather expensive SL2H, Im gonna play it a little safer!

Comment

Yeah.. you can string a beater like that.. I wouldn't have much reservation.

This got me thinking about Pete btw.. he's older.. was playing the schools when I was in Junior high and high school.
                      Pete.. he looks similar and different but he still holds his SG the same.
                      He was big into a George Benson/AlDimeloa trip.
                      http://www.rentmyband.com/peterk1/

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                        Light Top/Heavy Bottom sets like that will have more tension on the bass side, and could pull the neck that way over time.

Aside from that, I don't think Floyd saddles and blocks are designed to handle anything larger than a 46.
                        my RR3 is strung with 11-54 strings, and my DX10 with 9-48. the floyd saddles and blocks take to them fine...so they can handle strings over 46.

as for the 52 low string...or a 10-52 set...you shouldnt have any problem. i used to play with 10-54 in standard and had no problems with neck warpage or anything. used them on my PRS, Strat, Music Man...ive since gone to 9-48 for standard because i wanted to try something different after so many years. the lighter strings dont sound as massive as the 10-54's, but they have a bit more snap to them, which i really like...and theyre plenty heavy sounding enough and ive grown to love less tension since ive been reworking my technique (playing lighter) and the 11-54's tuned B-B are pretty light LOL
                        My metal band Lucian Scott
                        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
                        Available Now!
                        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
                          I bought a set of Elixir light/heavies to experiment with different tunigns on my SL2H.

These suckers feel TIGHT at regular tuning. Im curious if thats a good idea for the overall neck care, or unless im dropping down and leavin git there if i should just pick up some 10-46's to be safe?

Can all that tension do any damage?
                          It shouldn´t... I´ve played 12-52 in standard for years, and before that played 13-56. Never had any issues with neck warpage or similar on quality instruments, regardless of neck profile

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                          Original Floyd, Schaller and JT-6 saddles will take up to at least a .060 with zero issues when strung properly (a few mm of wrap wire removed and the bare core itself locked into the saddle). I´m fairly certain there´s room for more, but .060 is just the heaviest I currently use and can say for sure on
                          Last edited by Zerberus; 11-12-2006, 09:03 AM.

Comment

I to used Gibson sonomatic in the 70's the gauge was 10-13-17-28-44-56 tuned to A 440 they would stay in tune very well. I think I got the Idea from Steve Howe that was his gauge of strings also the gauge that came stock on Gibson in the 60's & early 70's. It work great on Gibson but on fenders I used 10-52 . In the 80's the new bridges would'nt take a 56 so I went with 10-13-17-26-36or38-52. When got a Kramer with a Floyd I used 10-46. I've never had any trouble with the necks of any of my guitars once setup and ajusted the tension is very even across the neck with even the heaviest set i've used.

Comment

I think they had different sets of sonomatics..light, medium, heavy? Maybe others also. I forget and I may be wrong about the bass string being a 052 but I'm pretty sure on the sets I used the treble E was a .012 and the B was .015 and the third was wound at .020.

Comment

Working...
                              X