Need a little advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need a little advice

I have the Model 3A with two Jackson humbuckers on it now. The high E string is not quite as loud as the others and I wonder is it the pups or what. If I were to change those babys out, what would you guys recommend as a replacement? I don't want to have to do any modifications on the guitar, rather leave it stock. Thanks for your help.

Check pickup hight and check to see if the e string fretting out possibly?

Comment

Pickup height looks good and string is not fretting. I'll play with it a little and maybe raise the pickup some. Still would like some advice on new ones if anybody cares to contribute. Thanks.

Comment

What sound are you looking for?

Comment

Well, I guess I should say I'm 50 years old so my music tends to go back a ways. I like the old classic rock of Led Zep, Allman Bros., Lynyrd Skynyrd, and the like. Good clean sound with ability to get some sustain is the sound I like to hear from my axe. What ya think on the pups?

Comment

Seymour Duncan JB in bridge and 59 neck. Its the most popular aftermarket combo there is. The JB was designed for Jeff Beck in the 70's and the 59 was modeled after a Les Paul PAF. You'll need the Trembucker spaced.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Rich. I have seen that combo come up over and over again on here. Going to have to try that out. It sounds like what I want.

Comment

If he has the JT-6 trem no need to have trem spaced pickups the JT-6 is reg spaced.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

It has the OFR trem on it. I believe I would have to go with the trembucker as it is alreaady spaced properly, correct?

Comment

I´ve had "regular" humbuckers matched with OFR´s from time to time... basically used pickups I´ve bought locally on a whim. I honestly can´t tell any difference from the tremspaced ones. They´ve actually matched up pretty good, with a bit off an off-set under the low E and A strings. But you could just as easy buy them properly tremspaced, I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by greenskeeper View Post
                      It has the OFR trem on it. I believe I would have to go with the trembucker as it is alreaady spaced properly, correct?
                      Ok, that guitar originally had a JT-6 then. Which is a normal spaced trem. The OFR is causing a spacing mismatch with the stock bridge pickup. Normally this is not an issue but if youve got the stock covered pickups it might. Try removing the cover off the stock pickup and see if that helps. Its just glued on there it will pull right off with a little force, shouldnt harm the pickup.

Comment

Working...
                      X