Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• adjusting spring tention

hey people..
    couple days ago i changed the high e string to elixir.. same thickness (0.09) as before but this is my first time using elixir and i've noticed that the bridge leans forward.. which means i gotta strengthen the spring tention (i got liscenced FR) .

I havent really messed with my guitar yet, i had it for allmost a year and this was the first time i opened the back where the springs are.
    i opened the back, i see 3 springs, 2 screws that go inside the body and a wire that is connected to the center piece (whats that for anyway?)

so.. i assume the 2 screws change the spring tention, ( i also asuume that turning it clock wise increases tention) i turned each screw clockwise for about 1/4 turn and nothing seemed to change, maybe i need to turn more but now im just being careful.

first question: whats the order of operations on this this? turn the screws untill the bridge is parallel to body or release the nut first so the strings dont rip (even tho they shouldnt anyway) ..

second question: i only got one elixir string on.. maybe i should put all of them on first since i planned on changing all strings anyway.. and then deal with the bridge?

that leads me to my third question.. my fretboard wasnt cleaned since i bought my guitar and now its dusty and there's gunk between the frets
    whats a fast way to clean it? i was thinking just wipe it down and it should be fine since its not THAT dirty.. but in order to do that, i gotta take all strings off at the same time and i dont wanna do that

sorry for asking so many questions =D
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Go ahead & loosen the nut first, because you are going to have to loosen your strings as you tighten the springs. When you tighten the springs, the tuning is going to go sharp. It's a balancing act to get the correct pitch and to have the trem level. Once you tune the guitar to pitch, you may even find that the little bit of tightening you did to the springs was enough.

As to the second question, yes absolutely change all the strings to the Elixers first. If they are going to affect the tension like that first one seems to have, then you'll be back to square 1 adjusting the trem springs.

For question #3, there's a sticky topic in the tech section with a great topic on fretboard cleaning. My advice would be to go ahead & take all the strings off before switching to the Elixers & clean it up it right. Not that big a deal. The more you get used to working with the floyd, the less of a big deal it is to do this kind of maintenance, & the better for your guitar in the long run.
    Last edited by dg; 11-10-2006, 11:18 PM.

Comment

i always take all the strings off the guitar when i change them...you should block the floyd when you do this (either with something under the trem like a pencil wrapped in electrical tape, a stack of business cards, cardboard...something softer than the metal LOL) and then it wont pull all the way back and be that much harder to get tuned up and set.

when i change the strings i wipe the fretboard down and clean the headstock as well. gotta keep it clean!
      My metal band Lucian Scott
      Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
      Available Now!
      New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
      X