Marking an Undrilled Neck Pocket for Holes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marking an Undrilled Neck Pocket for Holes

Here is how I mark a neck pocket for holes to match a pre-drilled neck. I hope some of you find this usefull!

I use a wooden dowel, sandpaper, knife and a marker. I actually used a bamboo skewer for this neck. I find that these are the right size for most necks. They slide in easily yet fit snug enough not to fall out. But if they are too small and fall out easily there is an easy way to fix that

I cut dowel(skewer) into 4 short pieces that are about 1/16" to 1/8" longer than the drilled holes in the neck. Next, sand the dowls till they are all the same length so they are all able to touch the neck pocket.

The dowels were just a little too small in diameter and they would fall out when the neck when turned over. To fix this I cut some small pieces of tape and wrapped it around them so they would fit snug enough to stay in the holes.

After I put the dowels in the neck holes I marked the tip with a red marker and fitted the neck properly on the body to mark where the holes needed to be drilled.

After I removed the neck I had red markings where the holes needed to be drilled.

Nice usefull tip there Denny.
    www.myspace.com/historyofheavymetal

Comment

very cool. Thanks!

joe...
      www.godwentpunk.com
      www.myspace.com/godwentpunk

Comment

so obvious once you know how!

Cool tip, Denny
        Hail yesterday

Comment

excellent idea Denny, what I've always done was to use a cut nail that fit snugly into the neck holes and sticking out only about and 1/8th of an inch. Then "mate" the 2 pieces together and it will put little divots in the neck pocket where the center of the drill should enter. For those that are drilling holes from the inside of the pocket, make sure you clamp a piece of wood to the back side so that the holes don't splinter the wood when exiting.
          Dave ->

"would someone answer that damn phone?!?!"

Comment

Thanks for showing us!
            Henrik
            AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Excellent tips there Denny!

Comment

I think that's the body I ordered from Denny. Can't wait to get it!

Comment

Originally posted by Econ View Post
                  I think that's the body I ordered from Denny. Can't wait to get it!
                  Yes sir, that's your body and neck

Comment

Can't wait to see the neck attached to that body!

Comment

If you don't have a red marker, brake out some red lipstick.
                      My wife got pissed when I took hers to mark a bolt pattern for a shim I was making for my Mustangs brakes. It wipes right off when done.

Comment

Very cool Denny! I do something similar to you and Budman. I use old neck screws that I cut the tips off of, and thread them into the neck and leave about 3/32-1/8" sticking out. Then press away. Then for drilling, I use a drill press and a brad point bit to make sure it stays dead center.

P.S. I like that Big Knife! No messing around! LOL!
                        Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

What if I don't have a red marker? Will my orange one work?

Great tip Denny, this should be added to the sticky at the top of the page!
                          My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                          X