Stripping Neck on Les Paul

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripping Neck on Les Paul

Well, I suppose this may go in the tech q&a section but since it's not regarding a Jackson, I'll stick it here.

I've got a nice, custom run, LP standard in trans-black. It's a nice instrument but I've never really like it because I HATE finished necks. I've considered trading/selling the guitar but it sounds SO good that I can't bring myself to part with it (everyone needs an LP). So, I'm seriously considering having the neck stripped/oiled. If it were a cheap guitar I'd try it myself but considering it's my most expensive and pristine guitar that I own, I don't feel comfortable attempting a job of such magnitude.

Can anyone recommend a good luthier that I could trust? I could ship my LP but I'd rather drive it...I live in central PA and would drive up to 3 hrs. each way.

Thanks!!

Have you tried polishing the neck?
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
      Have you tried polishing the neck?
      Not anymore than actually using a bit of guitar polish. I find that even the "slickest" of necks tend to get gummy rather quickly. I like the feel of the unfinished/oil necks.

Is there another way of polishing (pure carnuba maybe?) that offers a slicker finish?

Comment

When I bought My model 6 someone had used sandpaper to just take off the shine off the finish and it worked well.

Comment

I did mine myself.. you can try 000 steel wool to rough it up SLIGHTLY which takes the slickness off the finish.. that may be enough for you.
          I took mine to bare wood and then used boiled linseed... love it !

Comment

scotch brite..... scratch up the back until it's satinlike and blammo your done and its great. Did that on TWO USA Jacksons with great results. Easily buffed back to normal if u want.

No need to destroy the neck or open it to vulnerable moisture. The scotch brite makes a big difference and u still have the protection of the paint!

Comment

I may give the steel wool or scotch brite a try but I still think I'd like to just have it stripped. How would I go about finding someone competent to do such a job?

Comment

Sell it and buy something that you like the feel of or just get use to it. Finish or no finish should'nt make you play any better or worse.

Comment

I have never tried this on a guitar but my pool cue had a finish on it and I rubbed with a dollar bill, many, many times and it is perfect now. Might work for a neck. Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by jtr View Post
                    Sell it and buy something that you like the feel of or just get use to it. Finish or no finish should'nt make you play any better or worst.
                    +1. It would be painful to do that to such a nice guitar. I have used 400 wet sandpaper and then steel wool and it worked great.
                    If only I had back the money I gave that TV preacher....

Comment

Sell it and get a Zakk Wylde Les Paul Custom (maple neck back). I wouldn't remove the existing finish. I presume your neck is mahogany. IMO oil finishes on Mah necks is too risky. Too much open grain, thus can pick up moisture and be sensitive to temperature changes and warping. If you can't afford a Zak, I'd scuff the finish as mentioned above. Just my .02 cents.
                      Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Yeah, what Bengal said. Mahogany being very porous will take a lot of oil, and you could alter the tone as well if it soaks up enough.

Try satinizing the clearcoat. You may even find a professional that could strip the nitro clear and put poly over it instead.

The neck on my Standard gets gummy after a while as well, and yes I know it can affect playability as far as sliding your hand along the back of the neck. For those who would say "well, just adapt your technique to only touching the fretboard", that's highly impossible after 20 years of playing.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Is Paul from Big Head located in PA? If so you may give a call and see if he is willing to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by shelby22 View Post
                            +1. It would be painful to do that to such a nice guitar. I have used 400 wet sandpaper and then steel wool and it worked great.

I've done this same deal on a Gibson I thought was too sticky.. 400 wet dry, 000 or 0000 fine steel wool and another sand, repeat if necessary.. problem solved.

I think its in a sticky in the tech section.

Comment

Originally posted by slash View Post
                              Is Paul from Big Head located in PA? If so you may give a call and see if he is willing to do it.
                              Yeah, Paul is NW of State College. About 1 to 1-1/2 hours drive. Be prepared to wait though. I've been waiting on a Bengal graphic job for over 3 months now.
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X