UBB vs EZ - Need your input please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UBB vs EZ - Need your input please!

Ok, now that we're semi-officially moved over to the UBB format, I'd like to know your thoughts and concerns please.

Pros and cons compared to EZBoard please. And try to make these short and sweet.

Thank you!
    JCF_Web_Dude

[ November 28, 2002, 10:48 PM: Message edited by: JCF_Web_Dude ]

Re: UBB vs EZ - Need your input please!

I like the new board. The autio return to the previous page is way cool. But just a question; will there be a email notification of replies to posts? Or am i just missing something in my profile.
    Gil

Comment

Freak,

It's actually a global parameter I think, I'll do some testing tomorrow with it and speak to the other admin's. This baord is very popular, so it will definitely fill your inbox fairly quickly and often.

I have a Enterprise version of Web Board, I'm gonna do some testing with that and see what we can do with it. It's an intense program and SQL based, but more robust than the majority out there.

JCF_Web_Dude

Comment

I liked it better the old way where it would take you straight back to the forum you were last on, instead of a short wait to get back to the message you just replied to. Also, not being able to see who posted last to a message (though you can see this on the main board page) is a pain. I keep forgetting it shows who posted first and think that person has said something again, duh!

Comment

Well, this is all simple stuff you already know about I'm sure.

You post and have to hit home to get out of the forum, but that sends you out of the forum and in the main page. Yeah, great. Maybe put a link to the main forum AND to the forum you're in at the bottom will help a bit with navigation?

There's no way to mark the forums individually (Mark forum read) and the global mark function in "my profile" takes hitting twice to work (unless you close the window out) and you have to read the whole board and hope you don't miss something before your mark it all as read...

This place is just way too big for the style of board... It would be fine for a small board... not here though...

Generally, it's hard to quickly navigate, and get all the posts read without missing some or rereading some over and over.

"Last post by" would be good too...

This board does have good points too... And I know the Adm is working hard, and that this board is a necessary evil. Hope it works out before we lose membership...

Thanx for all the admins hard work though.. It is appreciated greatly. [img]graemlins/headbang.gif[/img]

Comment

It may just be my computer but pages seem to load slower here than they did on the old board. Also I liked how you could see who was the last poster on each topic. I miss that feature. One last thing I wish that after I posted it would take me back to the main category rather than back to topic I just replied to. I think after I get to this board and how to navigate it, I will like it better.

hpets [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

[ November 29, 2002, 12:30 AM: Message edited by: hpets ]

Comment

I agree about the "Last post by" and "Mark Forum Read" issues - certainly these are script functions, and they can be customized, right?
              As for the "Reset forum indicators", can't that be added to every forum section and re-coded to affect only those certain/individual threads?
              If it's a Global parameter, certainly it has to work with some sort of I.D., and each section gets its own I.D., right?
              Cut and paste the link for marking forums as read (Reset icons) to the top of each section (General J/C, USA jacksons, USA Charvels, etc etc) and it *should* work.

Another issue I'm having is with large images within posts/threads.
              On EZ Board, a 1 meg image would either load or not load, but the page would be there 90% of the time. On UBB, the whole page shorts out if it's not entirely loaded in 30 seconds.
              Is there a preload command you can put in to make the text load even if images aren't fully downloaded?

Also, the "quick links" at the top of each post are distracting and confusing. Can these be done away with except for the Edit and Email links? Maybe move them under the usernames?
              Those dividing lines separating each post are also distracting, as there is information both under them and on top of the post, (time, etc etc). If this line of code is customizable, add in a line break after each horizontal rule, to keep everything from being bunched up.

Newc

[ November 29, 2002, 05:46 AM: Message edited by: Newc ]
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

"Last post by" was very useful. Please reinstate it, if possible.

Also, the double lines between posts are just plain harder to read through. Can't quickly see where one post ends and the next begins. If there's a simpler format, like in the old JCF... Not a big deal, though. I'm sure I'll eventually get used to it if there isn't another option.

Comment

i miss the mark read button...
                  this board seems faster on my computer....i like it

Comment

This board is nice but........ I like the other board better. Cheers to the old board.... [img]graemlins/toast.gif[/img]

Comment

I like the other board better, but that might be because I was so used to it
                      and never had a problem with it.

I never had a problem with the speed of the old board.

I really miss the "mark forum read" feature.

The breaks in between posts make things confussing at first, trying to figure out
                      where the first post ends and the next one begins. I'm sure most of us will adapt quickly
                      but first-timers might find it confusing.
                      Can you leave the text white and change the date, member info to another color?
                      Yellow? Red? Green? It would make reading the threads much easier and quicker to scan through them when we just want to pop in for a few minutes just to see what's going on.

Comment

This board loads much faster for me than the old one. I just wish it had the "Mark forum read" feature so I wouldn't have to read through everything again. That's the only problem I have.
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This board is slower for me

[img]images/icons/tongue.gif[/img]
                          "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

[ November 30, 2002, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Jack Buttler ]

Comment

What do you mean it sucks ass Viv? Explain please...

Pat

Comment

Working...
                              X