DK2M JT580lp to OFR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DK2M JT580lp to OFR

Hey there, i am going to be purchasing this guitar soon. I live in australia aswell, so hello everyone at this forum.

I'm a usual user of ultimate-guitar, but decided to come here as it seems you guys know alot more on the topic of jacksons.

I'm getting a 2006 DK2M, with the SD's and the jt580.

I've done alot of research on direct swapping the tremolo, and i am a bit unclear. Some say its just a case of taking one out, putting the other in. And some say it need new string locks etc.

I was wondering if i could have any advice, and i understand the tremolo in there should be pretty decent (if i'm lucky) but i'd still rather upgrade the tremolo. So if it needs modifying what do i do? what do i ask for at the store (they're ordering the stuff in for me) or anything else. Also if i ordered another locking nut of the right measurements could i direct swap that?

Hopefully hear back soon.

I am thinking the string lock screws on the OFR will be too long for the recess routs preventing pullups on the bar. I do think that someone may make replacement screws that would work.

I am sure the stock trem would give you years os service before needing replacement, though.

The locking nut should not need to be replaced until it is worn the hell out.
    Scott
    Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

I just did a swap from a JT-580LP to an OFR and the route is fine.
      It's the regular JT-580 route that is too short.
      Use the existing nut though. No need to swap that out. Same goes for the trem posts as well... leave the original ones in there.
      -Rick

Comment

If the recess behind the tremolo is too shallow for the saddle lock screws (the ones that come out the back and lock the string in the saddle), a Schaller will fit. I've heard some say you can put Schaller locks on OFR saddles, but none of the ones I ever had would fit. I suppose you could put Schaller saddles and all on an OFR baseplate.

As for the nut, the import model nuts are shorter than Floyd Rose nuts, and every Schaller I've bought came with a narrow (1 5/8") nut, which won't work on a Jackson (1 11/16") neck. If you can get a Schaller 1 11/16" nut from the store, then I'd say go for it.

DOH! You beat me to it - you were posting while I was typing
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Welcome to the board. Looks like you found the right place to find your answer

Comment

If I remember, I'll post a pic of an OFR in a JT-580LP route later tonight.
            The route is a bit on the wide side, but the rest is a perfect fit.
            -Rick

Comment

Some people that tune down a lot report that the OFR lock screw for the 6th string may overshoot the trem route after intonation. If that happens you could probably take the lock screw to a workshop to have it cut down a little. An OFR is worth it.

But...while the old JT580LPs were barely decent (IMO), the DK2M has the upgraded version of hardened steel, so durability should be a lot better. I think you can replace the stock trem bar (and socket) with an OFR unit and get a rather nice working bridge - if you can live with the angle of the saddles and the wiggle in them.

Comment

Here's my OFR in my KE3 Pro (Came with JT580 ... same route as the LP version).

-a

EDIT: And yes, it was a direct swap. No mods needed at all. I also replaced the bushings and posts.
                Last edited by HoWheels; 11-07-2006, 05:40 PM.

Comment

Great info. Great pic, Ho. Is that tuned to standard 440?

Only one BudRing? You tight-fisted cheap-a**
                  Last edited by jackson1; 11-07-2006, 08:18 PM.
                  Henrik
                  AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Here ya go... OFR in a JT-580LP route. Standard 440 tuning.

-Rick

Comment

I switch all of my DKMGs JT580LP with OFR's and the switch is fine. In fact the best thing you can do to a guitar with that POS joke a trem on it is switch it out before you ever even play it.

You could also go with a Schaller that will work perfectly too.
                      Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

Not high jacking the thread, just making a personal observation in relationship to all this.
                        Personally, for the lack of a better way to say it, I think Jackson's biggest best kept secret are their Dinky series, especially the DK2's and the DK2M's. A very quality guitar for a nice price. Musician friend has them listed at 549 to 699, some are alittle more. I just wish they came standard with ebony fretboards and OFR's.
                        Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

hey guys thanks for the replies. I went into a store today that i knew had some jacksons in the past and to my luck had a dk2m in eerie dess swirl or whatever.... I LOVE IT....

anyways i had a lengthy talk with the guy. He's the stores repairman and luthier etc. He said the only problem he only gets on a decent licenced trem is the varias threads stripping from over tightning. He said he's never had any problems with a jackson tremolo, but said from his observations and knowledge that he reckons there will be no problems with it holding tuning stability or whatever. He said long as i do propper maintanance and oiling and do no over tightner it will be fine. He said if by chance i did end up having problems with it, or wanted, that an OFR would fit in. Before he could say it i started about the screw locks and he nodded as i had finished his sentence. He told me i should be able to get away with it but he said not to even bother changing the tremolo unless i had problems. He said why would you go buy a car and change the tyres straight away because they say they might wear out faster and why wouldnt u just wait for the old ones to wear out.... So i guess i'll get the guitar stock and over time or whenever i decide i could change the tremolo to an OFR.

Ok so upon reading and viewing your posts and pictures guys the stock route on the DK2M will take an OFR? I'll try and get some pictures of the screw locks and see how they work with the saddles and crap so i can see if i could do a bit of moding to them. Me and my dad are quite technical so we could come up with a solution if needed..... hmmm

With the screw locks being pretty close to the route i take it it just requires a little more time and patience when locking the strings in? and carefull ness? Do you guys prop the bridge up so ya can get ya allen keys to it or are the pictures just deceiving.

Thanks for ya time guys and thanks for the fast replies i really appreciate it.

Actually upon looking at ya pics again i take it the screw's for the locks are removable from the saddles? because howelse would ya remove the saddles... hmmmm a bit of thinking and what not is helping me i guess lol. I may be wrong but if the screws are removable a bit of measuring and such and i could simply cut the screws a bit at a time and file them to the thread so they fit and work?

Comment

Correct, the lock screws are removable from the saddles.

You got some good info from the guy in the store. You're so lucky to have a store with people that actually know anything about guitars...

Comment

Originally posted by rockstar_jones View Post
                              why buy a car and change the tyres straight away because they say they might wear out faster and why wouldnt u just wait for the old ones to wear out.... So i guess i'll get the guitar stock and over time or whenever i decide i could change the tremolo to an OFR.
                              Good, you got your 2nd opinion and it sounds wise. Get the guitar first.
                              I think you'll find the stock trem will be fine. I have an older version on my 2003 DXMG and it's great.
                              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                              X