New neck for my Model 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New neck for my Model 1

I`m thinking of getting a new maple neck for my Model 1. The stock neck is a little bit to big for my hands. I was hoping that some who`s pretty sharp with either neck swaps and/or the Model 1 can help me. I`ve got three choices for the measurement of the heel ,
    Standard Strat Heel 2-3/16
    Strat Heel 2-1/4
    Strat Heel Special Wide 2-3/8
    Anyone know which is the correct measurement for the Model 1 body?

2-1/4"

Comment

Shave down your existing neck.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
        Shave down your existing neck.
        Could you give me crash course on how I would go about that. I already did some sanding on the backside of the neck to get rid of the heavy gloss finish.

Comment

A draw knife or steel stright edge works fine just go slow and take a little off at a time.Just hold the knife edge straight up and down and draw the knife across the wood(the length of the neck) draw from the around the nut to right before the heel.Take the neck off before you do this and clamp it to a bench or table.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Is the problem only the thickness or is it the width as well? You might be better off with a 1 5/8" nut width. Just a thought.

Comment

I can't imagine the model 1 neck being too "big" in any aspect. If your hands are really that tiny, check out a Mandolin, or a Fiddle (sometimes called a Violin). Face it, everyone plays guitar....but a good fiddle or mandolin player is hard to come by. Course....you probably can't play many metal tunes with those.....but hey!
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
                Is the problem only the thickness or is it the width as well? You might be better off with a 1 5/8" nut width. Just a thought.
                It`s the thickness. My two other guitars are 1 11/16" at the nut and the backprofile is a thin C shape and they`re very comfortable. I haven`t measured the nut width of the Model 1 but it feels wider than 1 11/16 to me.

Comment

Dibbs on the model 1 neck i need one ..
                  Gil

Comment

Working...
                  X