Pickup suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup suggestions?

Well I'm wondering about which pickups to put in my guitar. ATM it's got Ultrasonics but they're very low output and I tend to use a lot of gain. So I want the full effect It'll be running through an MP-1 btw.
    I like a lot of stuff from the 80's, so of course Eddie, Lynch and Rhoads are way up there on my list, but I also like a lot of death metal. Chuck Schuldiner and James Murphy are probably amongst my favorite death metal players. I like the technical stuff I haven't really tried a lot of different pickups, I've usually just let the stock-pickups stay in there.. So I'm kind of hoping someone who know what they're talking about could help me out here?
    I'll have to replace the single-coils to I guess. I may even install a Floyd Rose to, time will tell.. Anyway..
    Suggestions appreciated!

Pic of the guitar in question:

Thanks
    "This ain't no Arsenio Hall show, destroy something!"

I`d suggest either the Seymour Duncan Blues Trembucker or Seymour Duncan Distortion.

Comment

Hmm.. Seeing as you're a Lynch fan, what about the Screamin' Demon?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
        Hmm.. Seeing as you're a Lynch fan, what about the Screamin' Demon?
        Lynch is one of my faves , I just wish I could solo like him I had the Screamin Demon in a MIM Strat a few years ago and it was good but it didn`t blow me away. The Seymour Duncan Distortion IMO nails the old Lynch tone with right amp and pedal(if needed). That was the pickup George used in the glory days of Dokken and the first Lynch Mob album. If you want a pickup with some VH vibe but will still do Lynch and RR the Seymour Duncan Blues Trembucker works really well.

Comment

Originally posted by WarrenLeeLynch View Post
          Lynch is one of my faves , I just wish I could solo like him I had the Screamin Demon in a MIM Strat a few years ago and it was good but it didn`t blow me away. The Seymour Duncan Distortion IMO nails the old Lynch tone with right amp and pedal(if needed). That was the pickup George used in the glory days of Dokken and the first Lynch Mob album. If you want a pickup with some VH vibe but will still do Lynch and RR the Seymour Duncan Blues Trembucker works really well.
          Did you see this vid by the way? You probably did, I just thought it's so cool seeing Lynch playing an MP-1 it's worth seeing again

http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/show...t=george+lynch

Comment

Mp-1..mid boosted tone ala Lynch,Chuck Schuldiner.. I'd recommend Dimarzio Tone Zone or the ole standby Duncan Custom in the bridge and a hotter rail type p/u for the singles either SD hot rail or Dimarzio like a fast track would work.
            No, I don't work at GC. Course, if you think my advice sucks, then maybe I might.
            Last edited by charvelguy; 11-05-2006, 08:45 PM.

Comment

For Lynch tone go with The Duncan Distortion.Chuck used Dimarzio X2N ,and my favorites are the Duncan PATB2 and Bareknuckle Miracle Man
              www.myspace.com/daemonbarbeque

www.soundclick.com/ear

"There is no knowledge wich is not power" Lord Raiden

Comment

I'd like to give Dimarzios a try!
                I was looking at the website just now.. I'm thinking maybe a ToneZone or Super Distortion in bridge. ToneZone seems to be preferred by many 80's players.. The Super Distortion is an absolute classic.. But it seems better suited for a Les Paul.. I can't imagine Al DiMeola or Ace Frehley with anything else really. So at the moment the ToneZone is looking mighty tempting
                In the neck I'd like to give the Fast Track a go, looks like it's got a hell of an attitude for a single coil!
                Still don't know what to put in the middle position though.. Something with a little less output perhaps? Suggestions? Keep 'em coming!

Comment

There's also the SD Tone Wizard: http://www.seymourduncan.com/SDToneWizard/index.shtml
                  "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Yep, the SD Hot Rails are, um, hot!
                    I'd like a somewhat versatile guitar, since I've got three pickups here there's no point in all three sounding exactly the same. I'd like the hum to be high output for some metal playing, and I'd like at least one quieter single-coil for the quieter, bluesier stuff I like the looks of the Hot Rails/Fast Track type single-coils btw

Comment

lynch= duncan distortion
                      Schouldnier= Dimarzio XN2
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

I got an offer for a Dimarzio PAF Pro, some guy's selling it cheap.. Should I go for it? Somehow I always connected PAF's with Les Pauls.. Are they any good in a Strat-styled body? Perhaps I'm just being prejudice here?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitardude86 View Post
                          I got an offer for a Dimarzio PAF Pro, some guy's selling it cheap.. Should I go for it? Somehow I always connected PAF's with Les Pauls.. Are they any good in a Strat-styled body? Perhaps I'm just being prejudice here?
                          Well it will suit your guitar tonewise ,but it will not deliver what you want!But you can use a PU booster to make the paf pro hotter and it will scream like hell.Extreme nice dynamics there.But lack of sustain and gain.Not to mention that the Harmonics are not jumping like a X2N or the Distortion!
                          So if you have /want to buya PU booster ,go for it.If not ,it's too weak!

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                            Racer believe me the ToneWizard is really shitty.I personally contacted Seymour Duncan to get an advice ,and it was waaaaay different than the tone wizard!It's a nice point to begin ,but it's not precise ,not to mention that it does not know your playing sytle and needs.The tone chart on SD is better than the wizard.

www.soundclick.com/ear

Comment

Working...
                            X