Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new strings

hey people
    my E string just ripped so i've decided to change them all...
    i have my dk2 for allmost a year now and some strings are still stock
    the strings i did change were the cheapest kind.. just seperate strings... and i havent changed them for about 5-6 months.. so yeah the strings are pretty yucky now

i wanted to go with elixir string (9s) but they cost like 15-20 bux here
    i heard good stuff about earnieball but i dont know..

also.. if i change all strings at once.. how do i do it on a FR?
    change one string, tune guitar, change another string, tune guitar ?
    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

http://www.floydrose.com/originaltre...#basic_topic_1
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Originally posted by MichaelLitvak View Post
      hey people
      my E string just ripped so i've decided to change them all...
      i have my dk2 for allmost a year now and some strings are still stock
      the strings i did change were the cheapest kind.. just seperate strings... and i havent changed them for about 5-6 months.. so yeah the strings are pretty yucky now

i wanted to go with elixir string (9s) but they cost like 15-20 bux here
      i heard good stuff about earnieball but i dont know..

also.. if i change all strings at once.. how do i do it on a FR?
      change one string, tune guitar, change another string, tune guitar ?
      Diaddario XL 9-42 are great strings. I used to use ernies but they feel like barbed-wire compared to the Diaddario's.

Give 'em a shot.

Later,

Steve
      Guitars:
      '04 Jackson SL1 - Flametop Cabo Blue Trans Burst
      '94 Charvel Predator - Fire Crackle
      '77 Ibanez LP Custom Copy - Black
      Amp:
      VOX AD30VT

Comment

my bandbuddy uses the elexiers once in a while. from what he says, they cost twice but last twice, too. could be worth a try.

myself I'm happy with d'addarios, sound good, feel good...
        I had earnieballs every now and then when my d'addarios were not available, but I found out that they always colored off to my fingers.
        I had really blackish fingers after an hour of play, and I... just didn't like that.
        might be, that I sweat a lot on my hands, but anyway, that's my experience.
        tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

Comment

One more vote for the D'Addarios from me, I use them on all my electrics.
          Me and my buddy have tried Elixier's.
          The good thing is, they feel very slick and do indeed sound good for a very long time.
          The bad thing is, they seem to break more often than D'Addarios, which kind of defeats the long-life purpose...

Nowadays we both use Elixiers on our acoustics because we didn't have any problems there yet, but for electrics it is D'Addarios all the way.
          http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I use Ernie Ball super slinkys and love em. I could probably get about 2 Months out of a pack, though I change strings every month, even on my Charvel. My Squier how ever has them on for about 3 months (though it doesn't get played nearly as much.) Whenever I'd use d'Addarios they either snap or rust really quickly. Maybe its just me.

Avoid Dean Markley and GHS. I tried some GHS Boomers once, and I thought the tone was rather flat. The Dean Markleys where like the strings from hell. They cut into my fingers pretty badly and also had a flat tone. Plus they wore out after only 3 weeks.

Stay away from coated strings. They may or may not last longer depending on how you often you play, but you sacrifice tone, and they're expensive. However I'm not sure abotu Cleartone strings. They're suppossed to be coated with some alternative coating thats super thin so you don't lose tone, but I've never tried a pack.

Also avoid Blue Steel as well. I know several people who tried them and say they don't last any longer and you pay as much for them as you do coated strings.

Comment

I use Ernie Ball Super Slinkys..I love em.

Comment

You should choose the brand and guage of string based on youR preference. Everything with guitar from the brand, type and style of guitar to FX, amps and tone will come down to your personal taste.

Experiment and find what you like. You may find that you don't like what someone else swears by.

And by all means don't be afraid to change those strings more often than once a year!
                Whataya Mean I Don't Support The System? I Go To Court When I Have To!

Comment

DR's for me - always used the Tite-Fit, but I'm trying a couple packs of Hi-Beams and they are growing on me. Definitely my favorite string brand though.

Comment

thanks people.. just came back from guitar store..
                    i ended up buying elixir because they were actually pretty cheap comparing to last time i bougt them... and i had elixir before i know what they're like .. they sound great !

also when i was on my way out of the store with my brand new strings, i grabbed a couple of dunlop tortex 1 mm .. everyone says they're so good so i had to try them once.. and.... WOW! the sound is incredible! the pick actually makes a difference =]
                    If the crowd is shouting for an encore, but the sound guy is shaking his head, ignore him and play anyway

Comment

Used Eb's for years. I used to bash Elixir, but I gave them one more shot. And I'm hooked! I work at a music store and I rarely see anyone coming in asking for Elixir single strings, More often than not it is EB or D'addario. To me the nanoweb strings are farely close to the sound of uncoated strings. Of course every brand is going to sound a little bit different.

Comment

Yes I also use Tortex picks.

Comment

I use whatever is going cheap on the day. Dean Markley's, D'arco's, EB's, it doesn't make much difference to me. I can sound lousy on anything
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Here is my take on your string question.
                            If you have been playing for a very short while (you must be because you are just starting to change your strings for the 1st time) I would suggest getting the least expensive strings you can find. D'adarrio is usually the cheapest. At this stage of your young guitar life you will NOT be able to tell the difference between brands of strings. Gauge.. yes, brand... NOPE.

Comment

After trying all the typical brands I stuck with D'Addario long ago. I did have Elixirs that came with my Suhr but didn't think they were special enough to change over to.

Anyone have thoughts on Webstrings? They're nice and cheap.

Comment

Working...
                              X