Powder coat trem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coat trem?

Has anyone done this? can it be done? I am thinking of buying a new floyd to replace my old one, the model 3 is being repainted in a candy red with ghost flames and i would like to have the trem match. I just bought new white EMGs and am going to replace everything black with white parts. So i would either powder coat the trem white, or even red to match the paint, then also if possible either powder coat or paint the tuners to match.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Joe (Charvel750) has some guitars with painted trems. He has posted pictures recently. I don't know if they are powder coated (his is shiny looking), but you might wanna ask Joe about it. Maybe he has some advise to give you about painting trems.
    Henrik
    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

I think this subject has come up before, and the problem is that powder coat finish tends to be thick enough that it messes with the clearance of saddles & other parts with tight tolerances. Painting is probably the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        I think this subject has come up before, and the problem is that powder coat finish tends to be thick enough that it messes with the clearance of saddles & other parts with tight tolerances. Painting is probably the way to go.
        I really dont think that would be an issue looking at the body and old trem, there is plenty of room. how much could powder coating add? I guess my main concerns are:
        1. is the trem metal? the kind that PC will afix itself to.
        2. the screws, will the powder coat seep into the grooves and make it impossible to tighten, or would i leave the screws alone and just cover the heads...
        If PC is out, i suppose i could paint it. but i would think that would be more prone to chipping.

Maybe chrome is the only way to go....

Comment

I'll try to dig up the thread, it's an oldie, but someone here had an old OFR that he took apart & powder coated all the parts. When he tried to reassemble it, the saddles wouldn't fit & he had gotten coating in all the screw holes, etc. The problem wasn't the trem clearing the body routes, it was the parts of the trem not clearing each other due to the thickness of the coating. I'm no expert on all the different powder coats or anything, but the ones I've used for doing bake-on finishes for fishing lures are thick as hell. I'd check around & proceed w/ caution if it's a good trem, that's all.

Comment

properly done powder coating would not be too thick. we're talking a couple mils here - like the thickness of a trashbag.
            I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

I must also add that powder coating will chip every bit as easily as paint, and it can't be touched up easily. Plus if you're considering powder coating it to match the body color....good luck finding a powder that will match. I'd personally paint it.
              My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Thanks guys. I guess Ill wait and see how the chrome looks before going any further.

Comment

Working...
                X