B Tuning question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• B Tuning question...

Possibly stupid question but is there any reason I can't slap the lower 6 strings from a 7-string set on my Jackson or Ibanez, tune it to B and make it sound like a purpose built 7-string?

I assume you mean you're going to use the strings B E A D G B on a six string. No reason at all. You'll obviously be missing the 1st string. You also need to make sure that the 2nd string is tuned a half step down (so Gb instead of G) just like it is with a normal six string. Your guitar should be tuned as: B E A D Gb B
    Last edited by Sanctuary; 11-04-2006, 03:46 AM.
    The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Originally posted by Sanctuary View Post
      I assume you mean you're going to use the strings B E A D G B on a six string. No reason at all. You'll obviously be missing the 1st string. You also need to make sure that the 2nd string is tuned a half step down (so Gb instead of G) just like it is with a normal six string. Your guitar should be tuned as: B E A D Gb B
      Yes, your right

Comment

yup...B E A D Gb B...makes it to w here you can play normal standard tune chords and play just like a normal six string, no adjustment required! i use 11-54 in B tuning on my RR3 though. depending on your normal string gauge that might be a BIT loose for your tastes. but i like it
        My metal band Lucian Scott
        Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
        Available Now!
        New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

When choosing gauges for B tuning, keep in mind what string gauges you like for standard tuning. Then ditch the high E string from your standard tuning pack of strings and put the other 5 on the bottom 5 strings of the B tuned guitar. Then play around with different gauges for the B string....that's the one that's gonna be most finnicky. I ordered a bunch of single strings juststrings.com and experimented.

Comment

Yep, what Chad said. For a while I was using my standard 10-46 set (not using the high E 10gauge of course) with an added 56. You can also try those GHS Zakk Wyldes. I scored a case for free so I've been using them the past few months.

Comment

the way i came about my gauges (11, 14, 18p, 30, 42, 54) was that my buddy was using 11-49 D'Addarios in B on his Dinky. i thought that was crazy, but it worked...so i tried the strings i normally used for Standard D down in B, and they were kinda loose, but worked fine, so i ran with it LOL i use 9, 12, 16, 26, 36, 48 in standard BTW.
              My metal band Lucian Scott
              Debut Album Defiance on the Steps of Heaven
              Available Now!
              New Album Coming Soon!

Lucian Scott Soundclick

Soundclick page : clips and jams

Comment

Working...
              X