Wiring help needed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring help needed!

ok, well here is my really bad diagram, but its all i can whip up.

Please help, i need to know which wires need to go where.

I want the DPDT just to be on/off for the pickups, no coil split etc

Can someone please draw the lines in where they need to go. The fender is a lace sensor, orange being hot wire and green and grey(usually white but white wouldnt show up) are grounds

With the humbucker, grey=white rest are the actual colours, just want it wired in series.

Please help, im not sure how to connect it up, i can solder very well, but just need to know which wires go where and how they all connect to the pots etc

Thanks for any help

Pickup Hot to Volume sides, Volume centers to one side of each switch, all grounds to pot casings. Center of each switch to Tone outer prong, center prong of Tone to Output jack.

Not too familiar with DiMarzio wiring, other than it's the inverse of Duncan (red is primary Hot).

If you ever want to add splitting to the DiMarzio, just wire it to the other side of the switch if it's an On/On. If it's On/Off, there's no contact on the other side so it won't work.
    Last edited by Newc; 11-02-2006, 07:20 PM.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

You guys are awesome.
      I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Cheers, thats a great help, thanks

What about the green grey and black from the dimarzio hum? where do they end up?

Comment

All sorted, thanks again, ill wire it up tomoz morning and see how it goes, looks good but.

Comment

I think the black is ground on Dimarzios (black is hot on Duncans, and is swappable with green for phasing). I only had one DiMarzio, and it came to me wired up like a Duncan and sounded thin (red & white together and taped off, green or black on the switch). I straightened out the wiring and it still sounded like a DiMarzio so I ditched it

Anyhoo, just connect them to anything and see what comes out
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

Comment

Alternatively, you can wire the pickups directly to the switches and then each switch to their respective pots, and then put both pots going to the Tone, but that gives you two wires going to the one Tone prong, which can get messy. The pic above is cleaner as each solder joint only has one wire on it.

And be aware that on a DPDT switch like that, both contacts at each point have to be connected in order to close the circuit, otherwise you'll still get sound when it's supposed to be Off, or no sound at all when it's On.

Comment

The colours seem right, red is hot, green is ground, black and white go together for series connection.

Ill go to pot first, like you said cleaner and easier, and i didnt know both connections needed to be soldered on the DPDT switches, so that will help, like you said, it was making sound when it was supposed to be off etc

Thanks again, ill let you know how it goes.

Comment

I wired it up, the switches work like the should on/off, but my tone now seems to be a volume?? Also the humbucker i dont think is running in series, doesnt sound quite right, its a bit bright, the red lace sensor sounds more beefy.

I put the black and white together then to ground and the green to ground also, is that right?

Thanks for any help

Comment

would it be that the black and white should just go together, but not to ground, i think if i ground them it cuts the coils??

Sound right, im going to just solder the black and white together then tape them off, not ground them? i think that should work.

Comment

Can someone please let me know if thats right?
                      I think that by grounding the black and white i have effectivly cut the coils out and its running in single coil mode, but by taping the black and white together and not grounding them it should work in series??

Is that right or not? please help!!!!

Comment

You're right. When you grounded the black & white, you were splitting the coils. They should just be connected together then taped or shrink-wrapped, not grounded. That should fix you up.

Comment

Thanks dg, just what i wanted to hear, i dont wanna blow the pickup up or anything!

Comment

guitarelectronics.com
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                            X