Shitty spray-cans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shitty spray-cans?

I bought some yellow acrylic paint spray cans and when I spray it on wood I get this watery, kinda thinned down yellow mess that takes ages to dry?? Is this how acrylic spray cans are or did I just manage to buy the cheap shitty kind?

Thanx a mil
    /Thor

First you must rough the surface on...
    With griptape...
    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Sounds like shitty paint too. only buy the good stuff or if you add coats it will orange peel

Comment

Yes I agree and test it before on some other wood...
        If you want to do it on your guitar first try it on some cheap one or some
        acoustic....
        Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

if you are going with rattle cans for a home refin job, use only enamel automobile paint spray cans. I used them a couple yrs ago on my Tele and if you're careful about your spray distance, they work great.
          the guitar players look damaged - they've been outcasts all their lives

Comment

Originally posted by skorb View Post
            if you are going with rattle cans for a home refin job, use only enamel automobile paint spray cans. I used them a couple yrs ago on my Tele and if you're careful about your spray distance, they work great.
            I live in sweden, dunno if we got that stuff. But I'll check out spray cans for cars. Must be better than the "hobby-spray" shit i bought. Thanks for the help-pleh

Thoraby pirate
            /yaaaaaaaargh

Comment

Uhhh, you do know you're supposed to shake the cans until you hear the marble inside the can rattling freely?

See, what happens is the heavier paint settles to the bottom of the can, and forces the lighter propellant and such to the top. The marble weighs more than the paint, so it sinks to the bottom of the can as well, then becomes entombed in the paint. You have to shake the can vigorously to make the marble break free, and then keep shaking it so the marble mixes the contents.

Spraycan jobs can come out looking as good as a factory job *IF* it is done properly (read: don't do it exactly like you would do it with a gun and House Of Kolor paint, do it like you were using Krylon, because Krylon does not adapt to YOUR method, YOU have to adapt to Krylon's properties).
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                Spraycan jobs can come out looking as good as a factory job *IF* i
                ....you stand 30 feet away from the guitar when looking at it
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Also Yellow is one of the hardest colors to paint with taking many many coats to cover.

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
                    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Comment

Uhhh, you do know you're supposed to shake the cans until you hear the marble inside the can rattling freely?

See, what happens is the heavier paint settles to the bottom of the can, and forces the lighter propellant and such to the top. The marble weighs more than the paint, so it sinks to the bottom of the can as well, then becomes entombed in the paint. You have to shake the can vigorously to make the marble break free, and then keep shaking it so the marble mixes the contents.

Spraycan jobs can come out looking as good as a factory job *IF* it is done properly (read: don't do it exactly like you would do it with a gun and House Of Kolor paint, do it like you were using Krylon, because Krylon does not adapt to YOUR method, YOU have to adapt to Krylon's properties).
                      I shook the fucker so long and hard my arm practically fell off before trying it . If it was a small animal it would most definitely have been dead after all that shaking. So it definitely ain't shitty from lack of shakeage.

Comment

My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Spraycan jobs can come out looking as good as a factory job *IF*
                          Fucking CLASSIC! Sully, every once in a while you throw out a pearl that kills me.:ROTF:
                          Scott
                          Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong.

Comment

Krylon is the best for rattle can jobs IMO. Prime white before spraying yellow. Sand the primer coat with 800 before spraying the color coat. It will come out pretty nice.

Comment

The color makes a hugh difference. Yellows, reds, blues and the like take a lot of pigment and they spray on thick. It has to be, at least, 70 degrees outside and in the can to get a good spray. And the humidity has to be low and the wood has to be warm and that's why it's a bitch to paint here in Seattle.:ROTF: :ROTF: :ROTF: It takes 5 minutes for Crazy-Glue to set.
                              I am a true ass set to this board.

Comment

Working...
                              X