Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just how thin can a import jackson neck be shaved?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just how thin can a import jackson neck be shaved?

I just bought a DK2M and i love the axe but the neck is thicker than the older DK2's and i want it to be to my spec's
    i want it to be 17mm at the 1st fret and 19mm at the 12th fret just like the super wizards by ibanez.
    right now it is at 19.5mm 1st fret and 21.5mm at the 12th fret
    why didnt jackson leave em alone with the original thickness they had a few years ago?
    my other Dk2 which is a '95 has a very thin neck stock and is very close to a wizard or a older san dimas charvel
    If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

I'm with ya on the Super Wizards.

You can shave it if you want. Just take your time and measure as you go. I've shaved lots of necks over the years and never had a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by quiksilver View Post
      I'm with ya on the Super Wizards.

You can shave it if you want. Just take your time and measure as you go. I've shaved lots of necks over the years and never had a problem.
      so the truss rod is set toward the fretboard then?
      i ask man because i once shaved a USA kramer pacer neck and hit the rod! OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!

and i barely took any depth off it!
      anyway i may make a pilot gauge hole?
      this is a very small hole at the 7th-9th fret area where the rod curves toward the back of the neck and it can be filled later after my depth is achieved?
      it is only the size of a dot but you can at least gauge the depth left before hittin the truss rod
      If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

What's used to shave the necks? I've used sand paper but only for smoothing. Do you use an actual shaver tool? Just curious because I'm in the same boat as you and would love to get my DK2 neck down to 17 and 19mm.

Comment

How anybody can play on a Wizard neck without getting hand cramps is beyond me. Way too thin.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I just use sandpaper. Rough at first, then smoother and smoother. It's kinda slow, but that's a good thing in this situation. That's terrible that you hit the truss rod. I have fortunately never encountered that, though I don't shave 'em down to 17 mm. My favorite neck is the Super Wizard on my RG520QS, which is 17 mm, but I am fine with 18 or 19. I honestly don't know how deep the truss rod is set.

Comment

Oh, BTW, I have shaved a DK2M neck with no problems - but I didn't go quite as far as 17mm. My DK2M was .81" (I guess that's about 20.5 mm) at the first fret! I was not pleased, as the spec said .735", and I hate thick necks. I think I sanded it down to about .75", which was a major improvement. And yes, I sanded the whole length of the neck, measuring all along the whole time. I don't have all the specs in front of me now, though.

Comment

I'd like to know this as well, because I'd like to shave one down to match the old JTX model neck.
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Judging from the neck thickness, fretboard thickness, and depth of the truss rod route, I can't see where you'd run into any problems taking 2mm off. I don't think I'd take off any more than that though.
                  My goal in life is to be the kind of asshole my wife thinks I am.

Comment

Working...
                  X