Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bass Identification

Hi there,

I just got a new one :-)) . I think, it`s a 2B, but I´m not quite sure.
    As I`m not allowed to post pictures, I try to describe the bass :

Ok, bolt on neck, headstock as 3B with the non-toothpaste-logo^^, P/J Jackson pickups, a big Jackson Bridge and 3 potentiometers for volume p,volume j and tone. On the backplate there is a serial number: 249081.
    The guy, who sold the bass told me, that he bought the bass in 1984 and that it was built in the USA. Is that true ?

Can anyone of you date the bass ?

Model 3B was built in Japan, is that true ?

I have another one, that I can´t identify. It`s pretty much like the 2B, but with the toothpaste logo. What model is that ?

Many thanks,

and greetings

Lahaspi

Loosen the strings and remove the neck, then look in the neck pocket or on the heel of the neck. That will tell you the model, but I can tell you they were both made in Japan.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Lahaspi View Post
      The guy, who sold the bass told me, that he bought the bass in 1984 and that it was built in the USA. Is that true ?
      No, that is not true, hope you didn't pay USA type money for it, even though the Japanese Charvels are really good quality.

The "Model" series Charvels were produced (in Japan) between 1986 - 1988, the "toothpaste" Charvels in the same factory 1989 - 1991.

Here, check this page and match 'em with yours:

http://www.audiozone.dk/index-filer/CatalogScans.htm

Wilkommen!
      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Hi there,

thank you for your replies ! The danish site is awesome ! I found all my toys !
        It`s definitly a 2B. I payed 200 Euros, but it`s in a very good condition, so I think it`s worth the money.

The other one with the Tooth-Paste-Logo is a 575 deluxe :-) Nice Name !^^

But I´ve one more question: Is it somehow possible to find out, when the basses were built ?

Greetings from Germany and thank for "Willkommen" ^^

Lahaspi

PS: I know it`s slightly the wrong board, but does anybody know a Hamer Guitars Fan Site with catalogue scans ? I`ve got a Hamer Explorer, but I know nothing about it :-(

Comment

dating the old Charvel imports isn't easy because there's no log recording when serial numbers were issued, like they have for US guitars. But we can confirm that the Model 2B was made between 86-88 and the 575 between 89-91.

Other details, like colours, hardware, etc can help narrow that down further, because some features were only available for particular years. For example, you might find that the colour of your bass was only available for one year. Or the bridge was changed after the first years run. Stuff like that
          Hail yesterday

Comment

ps. you can post pictures. check this thread out for more info: http://www.jcfonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29708
            Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
              the Model 2B was made between 86-88 and the 575 between 89-91.
              There an echo in here?
              "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

yea, on a 24 hour delay
                Hail yesterday

Comment

Working...
                X