Let's Talk Acoustic Strings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let's Talk Acoustic Strings

I've been stringing up with Earthwood bronze-type 12 string sets, but for a 6 string. They give a real nice tone. But I've recently started to dislike the feel and sound of a wound G string, so I'd like to change to something else. And I'd like it to be comparable - at least in feel - to what I use for electrics: D'Addario 9-42s.

What do you use and why? Looking for suggestions and descriptions.

Honestly, I use extra light Elixir's and I love them. I dont like high tension on the acoustic, and the Elixirs are easy to play, sound good, and have a long life. Cant go wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
      Honestly, I use extra light Elixir's and I love them. I dont like high tension on the acoustic, and the Elixirs are easy to play, sound good, and have a long life. Cant go wrong!
      I agree
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

A plain G-string on an acoustic might not be a good idea, and Light (electric-type) strings on an acoustic may be easier to play, but will not have a very good tone IMO.

Acoustic strings really show the subtle differences in size more than electric strings do, even if their playability is reduced.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I haven't owned an acoustic for awhile, but when I did I used John Pearse Phosphor Bronze wound 11-50. On an acoustic, 11s seem to be a good compromise between tone and playability.

Comment

Originally posted by Chad View Post
            I haven't owned an acoustic for awhile, but when I did I used John Pearse Phosphor Bronze wound 11-50. On an acoustic, 11s seem to be a good compromise between tone and playability.
            John Pearse, one one my favorite strings. I have used the webstrings acoustics in the and was pleased with them.

IMHO, you can really change the sound of your acoustic by string choice, both size and material. Different acoustics (types) will take to different stings. I usually buy 3 or 4 sets and play each one for a couple days. I have even recorded the different strings to listen back the result. You can really hear a dud, like wise some sets will jump right out at you.

Comment

Elixirs

Originally posted by gemini8026 View Post
              +1!

Comment

I change to a plain G string on my acoustic as well. i generally use the extra light acoustic Webstrings, and then go to a Music Go Round and buy a .22 plain string. I agree, electric strings sound crappy on acoustics, but since you're only changing one string, it's not too noticeable...plus, I'm playing to a bunch of drunk people that could care less how good it sounds!

Comment

Working...
                X