Jeff Loomis-Hometown Hero

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jeff Loomis-Hometown Hero

This is from the May 1992 issue of Guitar World. See, they used to have this section called Hometown Heroes, where small-time guitarists could send in some material and info, and if they thought you had the stuff then they'd put you in the mag. And Jeff Loomis happens to be in this one, so since I know how much of a favorite he is around here (including with me), then I thought it would be cool to share a look at his early days.

Jeff Loomis, Seattle, WA
    When Jeff Loomis heard that Sanctuary was holding auditions for a guitarist, he jumped at the chance. "They were one of my favorite bands," says Jeff. "I couldn't pass up the opportunity." The band auditioned over 100 guitarists, and Jeff got the job. Unfortunately, the other members of Sanctuary had a falling out and broke up, but not before a killer live performance that caught the attention of the Northwest Area Music Association-they gave Jeff their 1991 Best Guitarist Award. Jeff also won 1991's Seattle Guitar Stars contest, earning him the right to proclaim hinself the city's best guitarist.
    Jeff's Hometown Heroes submissions range from an unaccompanied solo called "Gateway," to "Sentient," a flashy instrumental written to showcase his fretboard abilities. "The Sorrowed Man," and vocal and guitar duet, is representative of Nevermore, Jeff's latest project. He and two ex-members of Sanctuary are currently writing material for a new demo.
    Main Guitar: Axtra Custom Stylus
    Amplification: Carvin X-100
    Effects: Peavey Rockmaster, Digitech DSP256XL
    (i'm gonna leave his address out)

There was also a pic of a young Jeff holding some Soloist-style guitar, but I don't know what it is. Hope you guys like this!

Re: Jeff Loomis-Hometown Hero

Guitar player magazine was doing that before you were born, Box! Well, at least '84 and before. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] Paul Gilbert, Jennifer Batten, and I believe Buckethead were featured in there 'back in the day'.

Pete

Comment

Pete... yup, but back then is was Mike Varney's 'Spotlight' Column. If I recall correctly, the column w/ Paul Gilbert also featured a certain Mr. Malmsteen !

-Kenn

Comment

weird and The Sorrowed Man is a tune off some early nevermore stuff , so that one's been sitting around for years hey //Steve

Comment

Working...
        X