Randy Rhoads guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Randy Rhoads guitars?

I was thinking about this the other day.What ever happened to Randy's Les Paul and Jacksons? [img]graemlins/help.gif[/img]
    93 USA Soloist EDS
    USA HT6 Juggernaut
    Charvel DK24FR

Re: Randy Rhoads guitars?

His mother has his guitars.I believe the only one sold was a black with gold hardware (back up to his other)that was at the Jackson shop to be fixed.they donated it to a charity auction and got between 10-14 grand for it.

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

really??? i'm quite surprised that dee would let any of his stuff out of her sight. is this info available anywhere?

sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

I think he was talking about the guitar that Rob Lane purchased from grover. The one of two that were being built for him when he died. the white one was sold by mistake, and the black one was sold to Rob Lane. All of his famous guitars are still in Dee's posession. What a shame. They really should be played. I'm willing to make the sacrifice and play them for her, you know, to keep them in tip top condition.
        1990 Jackson Professional
        1992 Dean ML
        2004 Epiphone Flying V
        2005 Epiphone Dot
        2009 Fender Stratocaster
        2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
        2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
        2006 Fender P Bass
        2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
        1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
        1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
        Custom Pedalboard
        ADA MP1
        ADA FX2
        Tascam 2488

Comment

there were NOT any completed guitars ready to be picked up by randy. As legend tells it, one was sold at a NAMM show by accident. Grover Jackson has told the story a few times, and it sounds like there were a few guitars made and waiting for Randy, but his death prevented him from receiveing them. This is both true and misleading.

According to Mike Shannon, there were indeed plans for three more to be built after Randy got the black one. However, they were wating to start production on them because they wanted to give Randy some time to finalize what changes he wanted made.

When Randy died, all that they had were three body blanks; raw hunks of wood. No headstock, no paint, no nothing. Randy was gone, and they did not have any finished guitars for him waiting to be picked up. Months later, Grover Jackson and Mike Shannon finished two of the body blanks that they had. One guitar was ivory with brass hardware, had reversed sharkfin inlays on the fretboard, a string thru the body tailpiece, and had cream and black (zebra) pickups. The other one was black, with (I believe) the same specs. It was not necessarily finished to Randy's specifications. The ivory one was the guitar accidently sold by Joanne Jackson (Grover's wife) at the 1983 NAMM show and has not been seen since. Since the guitars were not necessarily finished to Randy's specifications, they're not really the finished Rhoads models that Randy never got. Instead, they were simply guitars (body blanks, really) originally intended for him.

The third guitar had a flaw in it; it had a bad neck angle, so it was not finished. It was instead delegated to the life of a case template. In other words, it was unplayable in the state it was in. Years later, it was sold to Rob Lane, and Rob later had it corrected and finished by Mike at Jackson, and it looks just like the black one.

hope this clears that up a bit.

sully

[ June 23, 2003, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That's pretty much the way I know the story. Thanks Sully. I really just didn't feel like typing all that this morning.
            1990 Jackson Professional
            1992 Dean ML
            2004 Epiphone Flying V
            2005 Epiphone Dot
            2009 Fender Stratocaster
            2007 Fender H/S/S Stratocaster
            2004 Fender Telecaster Deluxe
            2006 Fender P Bass
            2006 Ibanez Exotic Acoustic
            1984 Marshall JCM800 Stack
            1996 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe DeVille
            Custom Pedalboard
            ADA MP1
            ADA FX2
            Tascam 2488

Comment

The guitar I was talking about was in one of Guitar World's special sections years ago.The guitar was (?) Randy's that was in to get fixed,but he died and it sat there for years.They auctioned the guitar along with a red anvil case that had R. RHOADS FRAGILE stenciled on the top along with various stickers and passes, and all the contents inside including a half smoked pack of Marlboro reds [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !I'm searching for the magazine as I type, I've saved every mag with Randy in it,so it may take a bit!!

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

yeah, i'd definitely like to see that... that guitar would have been on tour with him when he died....it doesn't make sense.

....not to mention, randy smoked winston 100s. [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

[img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] My memory ain't the best anymore,Damn them 80's!!

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

Okay i'm confused. There's a picture of Mr. Rhoads in a Jackson advert in the new Guitar World. He's holding what looks like an RR1T white with some color pinstripes. *thinks* *looks*

oooookay, white RR... donno where its made, black pinstripes, block inlays, 4 contol knobs, no pickguard, can't really see the bridge, but it has a trem arm, gold pickkup rings, annnnnnnnnd that's what i see. I can't tell if it says Jackson or Charvel on the headstock though. But ya... was that V style out before he died?

Comment

The ad say's "The Original sin" for it is the first Jackson Guitar! Randy went to Charvel and Grover built it to Randy's specs.Fearing it wouldn't fit in with Charvel, Grover added his last name to it.Randy's black with gold hardware is the prototype for what is now the RR model we all know and love! History buffs correct me if I'm wrong (my girlfriend say's I'm never right,hope to prove her wrong [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] )!

DAN RHOADSFAN_74)

edit- still in search of that dang magazine!

[ June 23, 2003, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: dan ]

Comment

Originally posted by dan:
                        The guitar I was talking about was in one of Guitar World's special sections years ago.The guitar was (?) Randy's that was in to get fixed,but he died and it sat there for years.They auctioned the guitar along with a red anvil case that had R. RHOADS FRAGILE stenciled on the top along with various stickers and passes, and all the contents inside including a half smoked pack of Marlboro reds [img]graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] !I'm searching for the magazine as I type, I've saved every mag with Randy in it,so it may take a bit!!

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)
                        <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Hahahahha, that's the bogus Randy Rhoads guitar and case as exposed on Rob Lane's JacksonCharvelWorld. Go here and click on "Fab Fakes" :

[ June 23, 2003, 06:11 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]

Comment

That's the one, same pic and all! WOW!! Thanks Greg for shedding light on this one!Did the magazine ever print a correction or did they just let it go?

DAN (RHOADSFAN_74)

Comment

oh come on! look at the logo...the size of the sharkfins, the placement of the V plate...randy had black knobs on his, brass pickup mounting rings, the switch is in the wrong spot... interesting though that the serial is #8...brad has #9.

my god....someone REALLY got taken. hmmm... now that i think of it... does THIS look familiar? i think the winner of the auction is the hard rock cafe. i blew this one to bits a few weeks ago:

ladies and gentlemen...never think that dee would let ANY of randy's stuff outta her sight.

[img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img]

sully

EDIT: and now that i look at the HRC guitar... it's displayed in a red flight case...look at the edges. i wonder if they just took the lid off?

btw, here's a pic of randy's:

[ June 23, 2003, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: jsullysix ]
                            Sully Guitars on Google+
                            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

kamo: dan was referring to an old guitar world magazine...not the ones with the current (and wonderful) jackson "original sin" ad. that was the first jackson, as dan pointed out for the correct reasons. it's also not even close to an rr1t, but that's ok.

dan, you can tell your girlie that you're correct, and she can make up for her evil assumptions with a niiiiiiiiiiiiiice bj.

sully
                              Sully Guitars on Google+
                              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                              X