Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I cant stand the JB all of a sudden!

I used to love this p'up!

My main player is my Model 6, with the stock J50. I fucking love it to hell. My two secondaries at the moment are my custom Rhoads that you all know with the 'Dime, and my new built Rhoads with an 81 (and maple board).

I just go to pick up the Dinky because its half step down and I felt like playing some Dead Skin Mask ( ) and I had to stop! Ive got that bitch wired up with one meg ohm pots and no tone, and it still sounds muddy as hell in comparison to the other guitars! Just not enough output for what Im all of sudden apparently now used to. Sloppy bottom end, just all in all no good. Now remember, this guitar was my main player!!! (Up until I joined here and ended up with 12 more guitars LOL)

So to see if I was really going nuts, I plugged in the new DK2M. SAME THING! This was the first time I played the DK2M plugged in, even though I got it almost a week ago, I havent had the time for a full set up yet so I havent played it much at all.

So, in contrast to that, Im looking to try some other Duncans. Any suggestions? I like a tight crisp bottom end, and more output than the JB.
    Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Only thing hotter than a JB is a Distortion (in the SD line). Live Wires might be hotter, but whatevah.

Of course if you're using a programmable preamp, set yourself a patch or two to lower the EQ and boost the highs slightly.

Or you can live with the tonal versatility. Your ears will adjust in no time, at least until you pick up a different axe and go "jeez, this thing is too bright"
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Is a Distortion hotter than a Dimebucker? I'm surprised!

Comment

Im using a Vetta HD. Ill probably keep one guitar with a JB, and try maybe a Distortion in the other one. As far as output, wouldnt the Invader, Dime and Distortion be hotter than the JB???
        Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Forgot about the Invader.

I have a Dime but I think it's busted - sounds like a single trapped in a hum-body

And a JB is a Distortion with Alnico magnets (Dist has ceramic).
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Definetly something wrong with your Dime!

I dont know what it is about this J50 I love so much... but another one will be here (with another Model 6 to go with it!) in a few days, hopefully this one sounds as good.

Comment

I'm surprised that the J50 would have more output than the JB??? I thought that the J50 was more a PAF kind of thing. The J50BC from my Model 6 has a sweet sound, but it is too tame. I'm considering trying it out with a PA2 booster. The J80C from 750XL is almost there, but still a wee bit too tame. The Duncan Distortion is just perfect. I'm starting to think I'm a chronic output junkie...

Comment

Although I have several guitars with JBs, I like the Full Shred much more for just about any purpose. I've used it to replace the Custom in a Soloist Pro and the Screamin' Demon in a DR2, and to me, both of those pickups had the some shortcomings as the JB...in my experience, anyway.
                sigpic

Comment

Try a Custom....

Comment

WCR Ironman
                    PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Originally posted by RobRR View Post
                      Im using a Vetta HD.
                      I use the Vetta also, and on it, the JB is the best sounding pickup. My EMGs sound sterile and lifeless. Like Newc said, I attribute this to the fact I used a JB pickup'd guitar to set all my patch settings. Try saving your patches to a separate bank, then go in a tweak them with the JB guitar, so then you'll have a specific bank o' patches for the JB. Also, you might try leaving the patch settings the same, but change the cabinet type in the patch. You might find a cabinet setting that works better with the JB.

Comment

Use a 280k or 300k pot with the JB it takes the shrillness out.WCR Ironman is a killer pickup as is the Herc.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by Boxcar Willie 84 View Post
                          Try a Custom....

+111111111111

this is the solution it has a hotter tighter tone than the JB

also the DD is a JB with a different magnet it uses a large ceramic and is much hotter and nicer sounding than the JB overall it will do dead skin no prob even though the used EMG81's
                          the DD is actually a lot like the 81
                          If it's not a CHARVEL then i dont want to play it,look at it or even fuckin THINK about it!

Comment

You could put an alnico II magnet in the JB too.I've done that with good results.
                            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I guess I am just a loon cause I don't have a problem with the JB. Granted I like the EMG81 better, I had no real gripes with the JB. I could dial in a nice low end sound.

Comment

Working...
                              X